• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Klasky's 3L Build Thread

Klasky24

CEG'er
Well as some of you may know, recently got an engine knock in my 2000 Silver Frost SVT. Has 92k miles and im obviously upset, but at the same time im a little happy because this means its 3L time. Unfortunately this is my daily driver so time and funds are short. However i Just purchased my engine (2004 Taurus), it has 44k miles on it and i got it for 500 and tax. FastFord is going to be coming down and assisting me. Going to go ahead and port match this thing, hopefully I can get it done within a week. I'm looking forward to getting it in and getting back into my car. Its going to be a fast swap but I hope to post at least some pics and hopefully get some input.

Wish me luck lol

good luck.

and btw a week is a long time for a swap. 12 hours is a good time with three people. that included prepping the new engine also.

make sure you have all of your parts in order before you begin.

Well my engine wont be here and ready till monday so kinda limited by that. But outside of the bugzuki plates and the engine what do i need? in the way of parts at least

new seals/gaskets, oil, oil filter, coolant, mtx fluid, exhaust gaskets, way to port the heads, sealer for the plates, timing parts as needed if retaining SVT cams, etc ....

Haha I totally forgot about fluids, duuuuh. Brapple as far as all the gaskets those aren't absolutely needed right? Just a good idea if the cash is there from what I remember when I did mine. And for the cams the guides and tensioners are the same on either engine, but the chains and sprockets need to be swapped from the 2.5, please correct me if I am wrong.

:blackeye:

More like
slapping.gif

:laugh:

This will be interesting

This will be interesting

After reading most of the posts about 3L swaps, it'll be interesting to see one get successfully pulled off in a week. Some of these posts just go on and on and on and on and on...........

Best of luck

After reading most of the posts about 3L swaps, it'll be interesting to see one get successfully pulled off in a week. Some of these posts just go on and on and on and on and on...........

Best of luck

Some of us are doing more then the average person too... and some of the components we are purchasing take weeks to get finished... perfection can't be rushed... just sayin ;)

However that said if your just doing a straight 3L swap and have everything in order... you can have a swap completed in a matter of day. I would bet money that Tricker and I could have a 3L swap completed in my garage in about 5 hours barring no issues.

Best of luck

oh 3L swaps can be completed in one day. However it takes planning, and the parts need to be ready to go and the people doing the swap need to know exactly what to do. I have helped on a number of one day swaps.

Haha I totally forgot about fluids, duuuuh. Brapple as far as all the gaskets those aren't absolutely needed right? Just a good idea if the cash is there from what I remember when I did mine. And for the cams the guides and tensioners are the same on either engine, but the chains and sprockets need to be swapped from the 2.5, please correct me if I am wrong.

came across a quote resently, if you can't find time to do it correctly the first time, when will you have the time to do it again?

to many people have to do a swap like you have to do. they blow up there DD and need it back asap. So they rush the swap, and often don't have enough knowledge to complete the swap, end up wasting alot of time and sometimes give up in the end.

Yes I would say those are nessacary parts. Do you really want to have to go back in there to replace them later when they start to leak? I'm sure alot of people don't but I know I didn't want that hassle. You might be able to use the 3L ones if the engine is fresh enough.

as for the cams you need to know what cams you are using. the timing componets need to be matched. you can use the newer 3L guides and tensioners with the SVT chains. If you stay with the 3L cams then you can just leave everything alone. Just remember to align the pulse wheel correctly.

and more over, start reading more of the 3L forum.

Last edited:
Engines out, went fairly smooth and quick for basically just me working on it. Klasky is going to get the 3L tomorrow but I won't be able to get back down there until maybe saturday to start building up the 3L and get it back in. I believe he is going to pick up all the gaskets for it as well. And he is going with the svt cams so setting the timing and swapping chains and sprockets with assembly lube will need to be done as well. I am sure it could have been done in one weekend if we had all the parts on hand but no need to rush, because thats when things end up broken and overlooked. By the way, I built the 3L in my car, but that was 2 years ago so things aren't exactly fresh in my head.

Engines back in, went with SVT cams. Just have another day of hooking stuff up to do. Should be totally finished this Saturday.

Stupid mistakes on this build. I let the pulse wheel get me, I knew I should have triple double checked but got over confident and didn't. So that was a PITA to fix but I got it. And now I believe it's not starting because the oil pressure sensor wasn't swapped, which wasn't needed on my 02 car when I did mine. Just want to clear it up that I just need to splice in the wiring harness connector that came on the 3L, sensor itself will stay, so 3L sensor and wiring connector need to be together? Also do I need to do anything with the knock sensor? This car is a 2000

the oil pressure sensor will in no way keep the car from starting as it is only tied to the light on the dash.

And now I believe it's not starting because the oil pressure sensor wasn't swapped, which wasn't needed on my 02 car when I did mine. Just want to clear it up that I just need to splice in the wiring harness connector that came on the 3L, sensor itself will stay, so 3L sensor and wiring connector need to be together? Also do I need to do anything with the knock sensor? This car is a 2000

Yes you will splice the oil pressure sensor for the 3L into the Contour harness, and you can do the same with the knock sensor. As far as I remember when I was working on mine these were the only two sensors that needed to be removed from the 2.5L wiring. Some people use the 2.5L knock sensor and tap the block to make it fit, but for me it was easier to just splice the wire.

Ok wasn't sure if the oil pressure was needed in order for the ECU to function correctly. Other than that I know it has fuel as the spark plugs were covered in fuel when I pulled one, the three wiring harness connectors are plugged all the way in. The only other possible issue would be the coil pack not firing.

Another note would be that it did run for maybe a second and shut itself back off, don't know how that could have happened.

Back