• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Klasky's 3L Build Thread

Put a new battery in, and it started firing a bit. Gave it some gas and she started right up. Running healthy, idling fine and turning back on right away. After all that worrying and wondering, apparently FastFord's and my battery just didnt have quite enough power. Still on jack-stands, putting axles and optimizing my Y tomorrow and she should be back on the road within a couple days. Congrats to FastFord for another successful swap haha, even though it gave all of us a scare.

do you realize that you might have damaged your mtx by starting the engine without any fluid in the transmission? Why would you try starting the car before it was completely back together and ready to go? Unless you had your foot on the clutch the whole time, the internals of the transmission were turning.

Last edited:
Doubt that the trans was damaged. The bearings all had residual oil left over, very little force was put on them.

Ball bearings need little oil especially in no load situations. The reason that ball bearings need more oil in loaded situations is to carry away the heat.

Klasky, congrats on a quick conversion.

Ran the car for a hundred miles today on the highway. Feels smooth and strong. Got a check engine light for the EGR after 120 miles. I deleted it and i am waiting for it to come back. We shall see though. So far so good.

Congratulations, you must be so happy!

I'd love to do a 3.0 swap into my mk1 Mondeo one day but it's things like the knock sensor and timing gear that scare me, with the old ones being a bit different.

Threads like this give me hope so thanks for that :)

Simon

Back