• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SZ10 Potential road courses

I'm liking August 28-29 mention simply for the location: Mid America Motorplex is practically in my backyard as far as regional tracks go, plus it was designed by Gingerman Raceway's designer. MAM is great, but painfully flat, so I still prefer Gingerman. Sitting on Gingerman's hill and being able to see the entire track is a beautiful thing - especially when they were running Viper-Ferrari Wars.

CJ, I don't know anyone in SVTOA, although I'm somewhat ashamed to say that I'm not a member. If you want to start digging around for interest on that end, that would be great. I think SVTOA's involvement for a track day would be beneficial, especially for overall turnout. Since Frank is in SVTOA, maybe he would have some valuable input with that idea. I do have some connections with the Mustang Club of Central Iowa and the Northwoods Shelby Club, so I'll see what I can dig up.
That isnt going to work as far as dates go for our "event" it is alway right at the start of spring.

Sorry, what I meant by liking the date in August was merely the mention of the home track hosting the LeMons event. August is definitely too late for SZ. SkullV, yes, Gingerman is too far away, which is too bad.

Road America would be my top choice simply because it's such a beautiful track with so much history. I've been there many times to spectate but never to campaign a car. Black Hawk Farms is probably the most feasible. Autobahn will probably be cost prohibitive.

I wonder if there are any restrictions on guest passes at Autobahn. I have 2 good friends who are members there and have something like 24 full access guest passes (unlimited track time) each. I have used them 15+ times but I wonder what they would say if 20 guest drivers showed up at once. I wonder if they would sell them to me and I could resell them to everyone here. That would keep costs WAY down.

Sorry, what I meant by liking the date in August was merely the mention of the home track hosting the LeMons event. August is definitely too late for SZ. SkullV, yes, Gingerman is too far away, which is too bad.

Road America would be my top choice simply because it's such a beautiful track with so much history. I've been there many times to spectate but never to campaign a car. Black Hawk Farms is probably the most feasible. Autobahn will probably be cost prohibitive.

I'm looking into a few different options for our track time this SZ.....for a fail-safe we have selected a weekend that we should be able to get the local SCCA to sanction an autocross at Miller park as they do several times a summer. At my core i still want to make a true road course race day happen, and I am looking at getting the local SVTOA involved to keep costs down and try and get in with some people that have pull at these facilities.

FWIW, I have envied the owners of all the Bondurant cars and especially the Saleen car....and simply seeing them in person is going to be a treat.....let alone race with them. :drool:

Just as an official rant, this has been the one issue that has kept pole and I from getting SZ put together. Apparently you need to know somebody who knows somebody in this state to even get a track event coordinator to return an f'ing email.

Mostly email. Making personal calls at work is ok, but the back-and-forth that's needed to do this kind of stuff is frowned upon. Pole made the comment yesterday that he wanted to just take a day off of work to make calls and shiz.

I know a couple guys who run a couple track time companies. PM me the info on exactly what you are trying to do (full day rental I'm assuming?) and your contact info and I'll see if I can get you guys in touch.

Mike have you talked to any of the guys from the SVTOA? I would think someone there would have connections.

Mike have you talked to any of the guys from the SVTOA? I would think someone there would have connections.

Mike and I went to the SVTOA shop talk on wednesday and i spoke with a few people, and even got a few inside contacts. :cool:

We're also looking at running a few of the cruises that the SVTOA runs in the area that should offer some pretty great drives.

Cool I'm hoping to have all my gear by then so I can run the bike on a track. I need to get the squid out.

Gonna be driving up from Florida for this so I'll drive any distance to run a road coarse. I have only one strong preference. I wanna take my wife around the track with me. She's blind and doesn't drive, but loves this kinda stuff.

Keep up the great work! I'll be attending my first Spring Zing this year. Gonna have my Zetec to 3L V-6 conversion for the event. This is gonna be FUN!

Gonna be driving up from Florida for this so I'll drive any distance to run a road coarse. I have only one strong preference. I wanna take my wife around the track with me. She's blind and doesn't drive, but loves this kinda stuff.

Keep up the great work! I'll be attending my first Spring Zing this year. Gonna have my Zetec to 3L V-6 conversion for the event. This is gonna be FUN!
It will be GREAT to see you again Jim!

Back