• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

door leds

trhlz1222

Veteran CEG'er
alright. i started this project today.gonna be a while cause i need my car for classes and **** so ill probably be running it without all the door panels and everything. anywayz i was wonderin if anyone knows the leds needed but i also need to know how to crack into these things. here some pics, ive circled the things that i beleive need to be released some how. ive tried to pry with screw drivers and push them in and there is no budgin them.

in case u were wondering im tryin to get the green bulbs out and nice blue ones in.

Attachments

• DSC00326.JPG
    DSC00326.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 0
  • blah2.JPG
    blah2.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 0
Sorry i can't be any help but keep taking pics along the way and post finished product a.s.a.p! i'm very interested to see how it turns out!

ok thanks alot man. um the window controls and the door lock/unlock controls on all for doors. im changing the color from green to blue so they light up blue instead of the green. it would be alot of help too if u knew the size of the bulb that goes in the dash the lights control and the HVAC controls. all the help u can give is highly appreciated.

seeaaarch the old forums! There's info covering all of this. The door switch bulbs are 3mm LED's. Theres good FAQ's on FCO by buckshot. The hvac/dash is not a simple bulb swap. There is green film on the back of the faces that need to be sanded off(contact Matt R for the gauges, he started offering this service a few months ago.) The hvac's are not easily modified. I would search on ebay for replacement faces. They can be made in any color although I would ask to see if they can be made in clear so that whatever color bulbs you put behind them will shine through with no filtering.

seeaaarch the old forums! There's info covering all of this. The door switch bulbs are 3mm LED's. Theres good FAQ's on FCO by buckshot. The hvac/dash is not a simple bulb swap. There is green film on the back of the faces (contact Matt R for the gauges, he started offering a modification service) The hvac's are not easily modified. I would search on ebay for replacement faces. They can be made in any color although I would ask to see if they can be made in clear so that whatever color bulbs you put behind them will shine through with no filtering.

the HVAC and the dash can be done by just sodering in new bulbs. u dont have to remove the green film. same can be done with the door LED's. i just needed to know the size so i can order them.

why would you not have to remove a green film? Was this already discussed somewhere in another post that I think i read? Where apparently blue penetrates enough through the green film? If so, that's fine. I just wouldn't want my color being filtered in any way. Also, you should still search. There's a good bulb replacement thread in the old forums. Door LED's have no color filter since they aren't bulbs but actual green LED's. Like i said, they are 3mm. I actually stuffed 5mm bulbs in mine but I had to hack away at some white plastic inside the switches to squeeze them in. I didnt like the way one side of the switch lit brighter than the other. Make sure you get as wide a viewing angle as possible.

Last edited:
yea it is. the guy thats done his dash and all explained it for me.he had to soder leds to resistors and into the sockets for the dash and hvac. im gonna try just getting #24 leds of that and see how it looks. as for the door. 3mm and as wide as possible. do i just clip the existing ones out with pliers or is there a special way to remove the existing soder?

for the door switches i just cliped the old led out using nail clippers lol, and left the resistor there, i probably should have changed ti but i was lazy and it works so who knows

3mm LED is correct. If you aim it w/in the switch properly it should disperse the light evenly, but the wider the angle the better. I pretty much did my entire interior lighting as well as helped other CEGers. If you need any help feel free to send me a PM.

Oh and those tabs are tricky. I use the flatest screwdriver I can find, wedge it between the upper and lower portions and push upward toward the actual switch buttons. Rinse, lather, and repeat for oppsite side.

BTW, the HVAC and HL switches (as well as the clock) are different. They actually use bulbs, so the LED only goes in one way. I managed two LEDs in the clock for even light dispersion. The HL light switch will need a few more LEDs than the clock and the HVAC will need a lot more, since there is two bulb sockets w/in it.

i got two apart right now. i just tore out the rest of the switches in the doors. left the locking one on drivers side cause i dont have a pad thing on my keys. i forgot about this part of it but the window lock thing does it light up green when they are not locker cause there is a green bulb and a red one. one of them must light up green then right?

i got two apart right now. i just tore out the rest of the switches in the doors. left the locking one on drivers side cause i dont have a pad thing on my keys. i forgot about this part of it but the window lock thing does it light up green when they are not locker cause there is a green bulb and a red one. one of them must light up green then right?

Your talking about the master switch, correct? Leave the colored LEDs alone, they control the back windows child proof switch. And yes they both light up.

Have fun getting that "t" shaped metal piece back in correctly. Your back windows won't work if you don't.

hotdimmes..any chance you have a pic of the "t" thing from when you were doing it. I'm working w/ a set that the slider does not seem to "snap" when it slides both ways. Instead it feels like when it's slide the one way the spring pushes it faster/harder....but when you slide it the other way its kind of like a mushy slide i.e. no "snap"....i think this is what is effecting my rear windows from working right.

Thanks

ok well all my switches are torn out and pulled apart. im just awaiting my leds to come in the mail then ill be putting them in and ill post up a complete how to on how to do it.

i used Linrose Superbrite LEDs. 79 mcd-3mm blue LED. 3.6Vf@10mA-viewing angle-20(#24). i believe they call for 680 ohm resistors for 12 volts DC at 1/2 watts.

i look forward to seeing pics of this
damn i was thinkin of doing the same exact thing

Back