• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

stock svt exhaust.

I'm trying to figure out, if I remove the stock resonator and use a shorter muffler as resonator. The muffler guy told me it's a simple muffler.
do i get a louder sound?

What do most people on here replace their resonators with? Ive been reading mostly magnaflow/glasspack, any opinions on those?

and anyone have part numbers or links to where to buy those?

If you want to go with the Magnaflow #10435, PM me. I took mine off and it's in the garage.

The infamous MagnaFlow resonator that everyone loves is part #10435 at http://www.justmagnaflow.com/

See here:
http://www.justmagnaflow.com/cgi-bin/shopper.exe?preadd=action&key=CARS10435

Some people have glasspacks here. I was under the impression that glasspacks are loud, raspy things intended mainly for old-school V8 dragsters and such. Does anyone know how they sound on an SVT?

Glasspacks are not overly loud and raspy. My SVT with the stock mufflers & glasspack sounded great, had a nice "rumble" to it and I had no rasp. It is louder than the Magnaflow set up (rear mufflers) though.

I'm still kicking myself for changing out the stock mufflers to Magnaflows.

My daughter has a SVT exhaust with a glasspack on her SE, sounds great. She always has someone asking if "that really is a Contour" and saying "that car sounds great".

Hmm I'm really torn between paying $20 for the Cherry Bomb 87505 or $70 for the Magnaflow. I like that the Magnaflow has a 2.5 core though.

It's really a matter of opinion. I'm truly disappointed in the Magnaflow exhaust system on my SVT. While it does sound nice, I prefer it to be louder.
I've told about five people to get a glasspack and keep their stock SVT mufflers, each one of them have been very happy with the results.

Cherry Bomb = no. Plain and simple :laugh:

BrApple has a "Cherrybomb" on his SVT. ;)
While you may think it's funny, it sounds good.

Before I had the Magnaflow mufflers put on, as I said, I ran stock SVT mufflers with a glasspack (system was on the car when I bought it) and not one person said they didn't like the sound. In fact, I got plenty of compliments. Even people who say they aren't fans of the glasspack have said my car sounded good. They never asked what I was running and I never told them. ;) Maybe I should have. :D

check my car
I used for a week. You can feel it only in low rpm, DON'T WORRY ON HIGHWAY, but sometimes, the car when is getting hot the sound is like a magnaflow muffler on the rear. I'm looking another way to get a better sound without tickets

magnaflow 22" resonator 10436 with stock svt exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_5ofgGwzOs

There was a little MOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE there at the end.

If you want to go with the Magnaflow #10435, PM me. I took mine off and it's in the garage.

Glasspacks are not overly loud and raspy. My SVT with the stock mufflers & glasspack sounded great, had a nice "rumble" to it and I had no rasp. It is louder than the Magnaflow set up (rear mufflers) though.

My daughter has a SVT exhaust with a glasspack on her SE, sounds great. She always has someone asking if "that really is a Contour" and saying "that car sounds great".

It's really a matter of opinion. I'm truly disappointed in the Magnaflow exhaust system on my SVT. While it does sound nice, I prefer it to be louder.
I've told about five people to get a glasspack and keep their stock SVT mufflers, each one of them have been very happy with the results.

Before I had the Magnaflow mufflers put on, as I said, I ran stock SVT mufflers with a glasspack (system was on the car when I bought it) and not one person said they didn't like the sound. In fact, I got plenty of compliments. Even people who say they aren't fans of the glasspack have said my car sounded good. They never asked what I was running and I never told them. ;) Maybe I should have. :D
If you want to go back tothe stock SVT mufflers I have a nice low mile set in the classifieds.
I have an Edelbrock RPM SS muffler in place of the resonator and Magnaflow race mufflers in the rear---sounds tough, no rasp.
Don't go for loud, try and make it sound good because it really can for a V6.
-J

I do really like the exhaust note of my SVT. It isn't loud, nor is there rasp. Its a good exhaust for a DD or a road trip car imho.

Could it stand to be louder, sure if thats what you want. I love my trubendz resonated borla on my SeVT. it was loud but wasn't crazy loud because of the resonators. case in point aircougar had the same exhaust but without resonators and it was really just to loud and he ended up adding resonators like I have.

I knew it was a glasspack on the car but I didn't know it was a cherrybomb ....

Back