• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

02 sable cams vs. SVT?

SVOFANATIC

Veteran CEG'er
I know that the 03-04 cams are good and very similar to the SVT cams and there isn't much point in swapping them over. I'm curious if it'd be worth it in an 02 engine though? Would I really see any kind of power gains up high or though out the whole rpm band?

I would swap over the SVT cams into any 3L. I know that's not everyone's opinion, but it's mine. To me, with what little time and effort it takes to swap them, why not? It's absolutely a few hundred more rpm at the top of the power band. A 3L with SVT cams will have no problem with driveability in the lower rpms.

I say, go for it. Your call though.

But you're also talking to a man who has never done Chain timing I've only ever done belts lmao. Nor have I ever done a cam swap..... So I'm nervous about messing something up lol.

I would not say that the 04-04 3L cams are at all similar to the SVT cams. One has midrange power and the other is at the top end.

So you need to pick what you want., more mid range or top end.

I think it depends on which 3L motor you are going to use. If you go with a full 3L I would stay with the 3L cams. If you go with a ported 3L I would go with the svt cams but the 3L cams will be just fine. I had 3L cams in ported 3L and it pulled really good in the mid and high range rpm's.

Well I've got an 02 sable 3L and I'm going port matched setup. I wasn't meaning the cams were the same but that many don't think it's worth it from what I've read but that's a whole nother can of worms bc I don't have an 03-04 engine I'm more curious about the 02 cams.

From my experience...not worth the headache. How often do you get to crank out 5th gear and wind the car out to 150mph?? For a driver...I say the 3L cams with the midrange power (for passing on the highway and such) is right where you would want the power. And my car still pulls plenty hard at the top end. I have drove both 3L's...one with SVT cams and mine with 3L cams...mine was the quicker car...and had a more usuable and fun powerband. IMO. I mean unless we are trying for a land speed record and have MILES of road...who cares about top end. I want to use that powerband in an rpm range that matters (guess thats part of being a drag racer). Lol.

But I also have an 04' Sable motor in mine. So you may want to...your call.

who cares about top end. I want to use that powerband in an rpm range that matters (guess thats part of being a drag racer). Lol.

Huh? What does being a drag racer have to do with wanting an engine that runs out of steam a little bit before it otherwise could have?

And I've got to call BS on cams being the reason a full 3L with 3L cams would be any faster than the same car with SVT cams. A car with 3L cams can be faster, but it won't be because of the cams.

The cams have very similar profiles. The comparison is documented on this site. The SVT cams are identical on the exhaust lobes, and have a slight additional duration on the intake side. I've never driven both, but I can't imagine it's a night and day difference.

Has anyone confirmed that 2002 cams are any different than 04-05 cams? I thought I'd read somewhere that they were the same, but can't confirm it.

Huh? What does being a drag racer have to do with wanting an engine that runs out of steam a little bit before it otherwise could have?

And I've got to call BS on cams being the reason a full 3L with 3L cams would be any faster than the same car with SVT cams. A car with 3L cams can be faster, but it won't be because of the cams.

The cams have very similar profiles. The comparison is documented on this site. The SVT cams are identical on the exhaust lobes, and have a slight additional duration on the intake side. I've never driven both, but I can't imagine it's a night and day difference.

Has anyone confirmed that 2002 cams are any different than 04-05 cams? I thought I'd read somewhere that they were the same, but can't confirm it.

Sorry...I meant powerband when I say drag racer...meaning you use all the power the engine is capable of before say 6500 in 4th (gearing is a huge factor here too). That way in the quarter mile the motor is winding to its highest rpm just before the finish line (resulting in the best ET). My point was mainly that unless you plan to wind the car out to 7000-7200rpm and go 150+mph....there is no sense in the SVT cams in a daily driver...IMO (again...to each their own). But you're right...not much of a difference in the cams (the SVT cams just have a little more top end). I just meant my car was quicker because the powerband was there quicker.

But....why in the hell would anybody want to put wore out 130k mile cams in a 29k mile 3L motor (numbers are of my motor...for reference)?? Doesnt make sense to me.

And yes cams sure as to hell do make one car faster than the next. Cams are the heart of the motor. You can take two identical cars...and make them seem like two completely different cars just by cam profiles, centerline, and durations and such. But again...like you said....its not night and day with these profiles being so close...but you do feel the difference in rpm's and the way it pulls on the top end with the SVT cams. But the midrange is alot better with the 3L cams...my car pulls in the lowend (because of the 4.06 FD ratio) and the mid because of the 3L cams...which just makes it feel alot better to me than the SVT cams. But again....depends on what you like and what your plans are for the car. This is just my opinion....and I hope it helps a little.

I vote 3l cams! I personally believe the loss of torque is not worth the high rpm horse power of the SVT cams. Some people believe the 3l cams drop off in the high end of the power range to me it's more like the power range is changed, you stress your motor a lot less to get your numbers and do not have to do wide open 7,000rpm pulls to get them.

That's my .02 for now

I know that the 03-04 cams are good and very similar to the SVT cams and there isn't much point in swapping them over.

Absolutely completely different. I have and 05 engine (same cams as 04) and I went to SVT cams in my 3.0L-T It was like a crazzy night and day difference. Almost no loss in midrange.

I would swap over the SVT cams into any 3L. To me, with what little time and effort it takes to swap them, why not? It's absolutely a few hundred more rpm at the top of the power band. A 3L with SVT cams will have no problem with driveability in the lower rpms.

Completely agree with everything stated. Especially considering you can get SVT cams for $75 all day.

But....why in the hell would anybody want to put wore out 130k mile cams in a 29k mile 3L motor (numbers are of my motor...for reference)?? Doesnt make sense to me.

I put cams with unknown mileage (probably just didnt want to state like 190k miles) in my 3.0Lt and it was the bestthing I ever did. I paid $325 for my 05 motor with 36k. I have pretty much blown it up and rebuilt it twice and its on its third life, so why not install these cams.

I actually already read that thread did some searching and found it but my biggest question and problem is are the 02 cams the same? Why does everyone say to go with an 04+ engine rather than the 00-03? I know COP and alumium valve covers but those are getting swapped anyway for a much more simpler setup on my car until a later date.

If you need help let me know. I did a ported 3l with 3l cams and very satisfied with the performance.

I have a buddy Gomach coming over to help me thanks though squeek I appreciate it man this forum is much better than any other by far all the other forums I just get whined at about what I'm doing. Just wish I would have figured all this out sooner would have saved all the stress I'm having right now. Maybe....

I might still need your help though lol

I have pretty much blown it up and rebuilt it twice and its on its third life, so why not install these cams.

But you have a turbo. Completely different than trying to make power with an NA car. And the feel of the car is WAY different (plus I wouldnt be running 4.06 FD if I had a turbo...lol).

I still say from the cars I drove and compared (and maybe it wasnt two identical cars...so basically it was like every Motor Trend comparison....haha) but I felt the 3L cams are better suited for a car you plan to cruise and drive around everyday...and the powerband is in the midrange where you need it on the highway.

My SVT Cams have plenty of low end torque. I can be cruising at 1K rpm in 5th gear going up hill and still be able to accelerate. Also, in any passing zone, i usually dont have to downshift in order to pass people. They're also wonderful for drag racing.

My SVT Cams have plenty of low end torque. I can be cruising at 1K rpm in 5th gear going up hill and still be able to accelerate. Also, in any passing zone, i usually dont have to downshift in order to pass people. They're also wonderful for drag racing.

This has been my experience with the SVT cams as well. I'm not sure how much more "low end torque" a person could need. There probably aren't many people towing boats with them.

This is one of those debates that will continue for as long as CEG is alive.

This is one of those debates that will continue for as long as CEG is alive.

Exactly, it's really a matter of personal preference and what makes sense for the person doing the build.

Excellent info on the cam differences, somehow I did not see that thread until now.

Back