• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Gapping spark plugs

iskoos

CEG'er
I just got new Motorcraft plugs as suggested by many many of you(no more using other brand plugs anymore by the way)

I checked the gap immediately and all 4 of them measure 0.045inches in other words 1.2mm
Specs call for 0.05 inches or 1.3 mm. (I have a Contour GL with Zetec engine)
So should I adjust the gap or this could be ignored?

If I need to, is there any specific method I need to follow?

Appreciated...

Use gap tool and gap them to the proper 0.050 inch. There easy to use and cheap at any auto parts store. If the gap is too close you won't get the proper spark. If the gap is to much the plugs will run hotter as well as the wires. This can cause them to fail.

I have the below tool that I used. It has a hole at the top saying "gap opener." I tried to use it but didn't want to break the tip of the spark element. It seems very fragile.

Attachments

• gap tool.JPG
    gap tool.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 0
I have the below tool that I used. It has a hole at the top saying "gap opener." I tried to use it but didn't want to break the tip of the spark element. It seems very fragile.

dont use the hole to pry the gap open, instead, slide the spark plug opening along the measured side, sliding it across will open the gap to the numbers indicated there. u should notice the side gets wider as u go up, and vise versa

You mentioned that the electrode looks very fragile. If they are iridium plugs, do not change the gap! Double plats can be regapped like standard plugs. The electrode won't break.

Gap it to 0.050 as suggested by Ford.

The $1 "gapper" from Autozone or Advance works well. If you are concerned by the hole, just slide the gapper into the SP gap and bend it up slowly. Use the thinner portion of the gapper (maybe 0.040 or something) to push it up. That way you can adjust it slowly until you get to 0.050.

The sp should not break if you do it slowly and gently. If it breaks, it was a manufacturing defect and you should get it exchanged at the store you bought it from.

Leave them alone

Leave them alone

With rare exception the plugs are close enough. If you are trying to adjust the plug gap within .005" you are WASTING your time. Just leave them alone and it will be just fine.

If someone really believes that a gap difference of .005" makes a difference in how your car runs they are living on the wrong planet.

Think about it, over the course of time the plug gap will increase due to erosion of the center and side gap, and for most of us we will NEVER notice over the life of the plug.

I really hope you have better things to do than to obsess over plug gap. Like chasing skirts

+1. Erosion will take away a lot more than that small difference.

With rare exception the plugs are close enough. If you are trying to adjust the plug gap within .005" you are WASTING your time. Just leave them alone and it will be just fine.

If someone really believes that a gap difference of .005" makes a difference in how your car runs they are living on the wrong planet.

Think about it, over the course of time the plug gap will increase due to erosion of the center and side gap, and for most of us we will NEVER notice over the life of the plug.

I really hope you have better things to do than to obsess over plug gap. Like chasing skirts

You have a lot to learn my friend. Obviously you intend to learn the hard way.

Whats wrong with chasing skirts

Whats wrong with chasing skirts

Big Jim

I don't get it, what do you have against chasing skirts?

What I don't like is pulling plugs and regapping them to resolve a problem created by another mechanic. I spent more years of my life than I care to remember as a Ford Drivability Tech. I learned early that you NEVER install plugs without gapping them properly. But if you like chasing elusive problems, go right ahead and learn for yourself.

So your issue wasn't chasing skirts!!!

So your issue wasn't chasing skirts!!!

What I don't like is pulling plugs and regapping them to resolve a problem created by another mechanic. I spent more years of my life than I care to remember as a Ford Drivability Tech. I learned early that you NEVER install plugs without gapping them properly. But if you like chasing elusive problems, go right ahead and learn for yourself.

The OP stated that the plugs were gapped from the supplier at .045" and the spec was .050". If the .005" difference will cause a problem, I can promise you the problem lies elsewhere. The OP checked the gap as he should have, but to worry about .005" is a waste of time and brain cells.

And besides, as a mechanic why get upset about other mechanics shortcomings. Personally as a former mechanic others mistakes helped pay for a couple of houses and college degrees. I saw no need to get upset with someone creating opportunity and more importantly money for me.

The OP stated that the plugs were gapped from the supplier at .045" and the spec was .050". If the .005" difference will cause a problem, I can promise you the problem lies elsewhere. The OP checked the gap as he should have, but to worry about .005" is a waste of time and brain cells.

And besides, as a mechanic why get upset about other mechanics shortcomings. Personally as a former mechanic others mistakes helped pay for a couple of houses and college degrees. I saw no need to get upset with someone creating opportunity and more importantly money for me.

And I can promise you that misgapped plugs, even as little as .005", can cause a problem. Why take a chance. Just do it right the first time.

Much of my time spent correcting others mistakes were at the expense of being able to work on better paying projects. Usually, there was no way to get paid for all of the time it took to straighten out other people's mistakes. Many a time I spent working through difficult problems, beyond what the other techs in the shop were capable of, while watching them get gravy work. Maybe I shouldn't complain too much though as I usually stayed busy and did well enough to support a family with a stay at home wife.

I too value my time spent in the shop. The problem solving skills developed have served me very well. I nearly completed my BS and started my MBA while still in the shop (some of the BS classes were actually MBA classes, and counted for content but not units for the MBA). The same problem solving skills help me greatly with the consulting I do now.

Back to the misgapped plugs. I have had problems that finally went away after properly gapping plugs that were as little as .005" off.

Ford actually says the spec for the plug gap for the Zetec is .048-.052. personally, if your checking the gap, and its off even slightly then there is no reason not to adjust it to be within the spec range.

Consider the context

Consider the context

And I can promise you that misgapped plugs, even as little as .005", can cause a problem. Why take a chance. Just do it right the first time.
Back to the misgapped plugs. I have had problems that finally went away after properly gapping plugs that were as little as .005" off.

With the much more powerful ignition systems in cars for the last 20 years .oo5" simply will not be an issue. However in the bad old days when we had to gap plugs to .010" to cope with the pathetic ignition systems of the day just to get engines to run, .005" was an issue.

Still don't buy that a .005" gap difference in todays engines will cause any problem IF the rest of the system is up to snuff.

With the much more powerful ignition systems in cars for the last 20 years .oo5" simply will not be an issue. However in the bad old days when we had to gap plugs to .010" to cope with the pathetic ignition systems of the day just to get engines to run, .005" was an issue.

Still don't buy that a .005" gap difference in todays engines will cause any problem IF the rest of the system is up to snuff.

I don't think so. The scope patterns I saw on more recent engines still showed comparable available voltages and required voltages. Don't forget that our Contours are also blessed / cursed with the waste fire ignition system and the half of the engine running negative voltage is less forgiving.

Obviously we will need to end up agreeing to disagree on this point.

Back