No announcement yet.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actually SBFs can have head lifting/HG issues with the 10 bolts/head sealing, especially thin deck factory heads.
    ARP studs and a quality MLS/Cometic gasket should do the trick Mike.
    -J
    '99 SVT Silver
    Clean DD
    '91 LX Bimini Blue
    427"/88mm @ 16psi....yeah 4 digit power

Comment

• Well yeah they can blow with boost but it isn't because the head lifted it is because they need more bolts spaced closer together lol. Most guys just get the heads/block decked and use cometics or get an o-ring job.

Back on topic, you might want to look into getting your heads o-ringed if they offer o-ringed HGs for our cars. Failing that cometics will work, obviously everything needs to be machined to go together perfectly. Don't know how many threads I've seen over at the corral where someone posts something like "cometics leaking wth?!" and it turns out the guy just installed them on a weekend HCI lol.
      -00' Contour SVT #1245 of 2150. Trubendz Borla exhaust, BAT Catted Y, Spec shifter, Injen CAI, NPG Big Brakes, Modded Sunroof.
      -98' Mustang GT. PI Engine, exhaust, Cobra front bumper/R hood, 3.73s, deep dish Bullitt rims, lowered, lots of other stuff.

Comment

• Something is missing...

oh snap there it is...

We got the motor out in about 35min. No issues what so ever, which was unbelievable.
        -Mike
        If you are wondering where the avatar came from look here... Link
        98 SVT Contour - HoK TruBlue|CF roof|#49/6535 DOB 3/25/97|550whp here I come|Follow my extremely slow 3L/turbo build here Link
        85 Camaro - 1969 350ci, 503BHP

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• Mike,

Its coming along great i cant wait to see this thing done!

Comment

• Originally posted by 4GTNSVT View Post
            Mike,

Its coming along great i cant wait to see this thing done!
            Thanks. You and me both
            -Mike
            98 SVT Contour - HoK TruBlue|CF roof|#49/6535 DOB 3/25/97|550whp here I come|Follow my extremely slow 3L/turbo build here Link

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• You have lots to do before SZ, get on it! It's good to see some progress with this build. Thanks for sharing.
              *CLICK HERE ---> 1995 SE 3L WITH MATCHING TRAILER <--- CLICK HERE*
              30 Contour / Mystiques and counting......

Comment

• Originally posted by CSVT#49 View Post
                Interesting. I have given thought to drilling out the heads and tapping them to accept larger studs, but I haven't decided on that quite yet... however that decision needs to be made soon. On that note how much boost pressure was he running? I don't think I'm going to pushing anything beyond 18-20psi.
                That's just about the boost that Keyser's car was running when it ran into issues, IIRC. This was also in a 2.5L and I honestly couldn't tell you exactly what turbo and what compressor it had either. I did a bit of searching, but with no luck. Your best bet in finding out would be to ask some of our longtime Arizona gents. They would know more about what I'm alluding to. Better yet, you should place a call to Keith @ Arizona Dyno Chip. I would bet a kagillion dollars on him knowing for sure, likely with hands-on experience and actual memories of the matter. I don't think that car strayed far from ADC, so that is a great source for info and someone I would have a chat with to add some turbo Duratec V6 knowledge to my shelf.
                2012 Mustang GT w/ Brembo Pkg
                1965 Buick Skylark GS
                1964 Chevrolet Impala SS

Comment

• My buddy finally sent this to me... pic of the 2.5 leaving my engine bay forever (cell phone pic )...

Just think all that work to change the flipping belt
                  photo..jpg
                  -Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• Got some nice soft lighting there! Hahaha you remember!
                    1998 SF CSVT #1339-RIP Stripped for parts
                    1998 TR CSVT # 5914- SOLD
                    1998 TR CSVT #0415-stock, B&M short shifter,AC delete, Carbon Fiber hood,custom one off "smurphko" front lip, custom one off mixed HOK red pearl

Comment

• Originally posted by CSVT1339 View Post
                      Got some nice soft lighting there! Hahaha you remember!
                      Haha, ah yes. Way to handle the drop light
                      -Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• Ordered my bearings...

CB-1772P - Clevite rod bearings ($5.17 EA, Northern Auto Parts)
                        MS-2207P - Clevite main bearings ($45.23, Norhtern Auto Parts)
                        2800B2 - 8oz Clevite assembly lube ($6.99, Northern Auto Parts)

RockAuto only had the rod bearings, which were cheaper at $4.82 EA. However shipping was higher and they only had 4 left.

Next I need to order my gasket sets, which is $225.35 shipped via RockAuto, which is the cheapest I could find

HS-26233PT - Fel-Pro Upper engine gasket set ($150.79, RockAuto)
                        CS-9038-2 - Fel-Pro Conversion gasket set (lower engine) ($70.79, RockAuto)
                        -Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• schweetttttt
                          2002 Cougar
                          http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z...roject%20Grip/
                          2000 SVT Contour
                          http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z...SVT%20Contour/

Comment

• "intheghetto..... INTHEGHETTO"!!!!! i have an engine stand if you want it :p hate to see that peppy little 2.5L sit on a tire lol!~
                            R.I.P. CSVT "clockwork" totaled 10/29/10 n/a 3L 220whp 212 trq

Comment

• Originally posted by TRicker View Post
                              "intheghetto..... INTHEGHETTO"!!!!! i have an engine stand if you want it :p hate to see that peppy little 2.5L sit on a tire lol!~
                              Haha then I will have 4 engines stands all with engines on them...

Camaro's 357 is on one in the bedroom in the basement, SVT's 3.0L is one in the basment next to the fireplace, Camaro's old 305 is sitting on a stand on the side of the garage... and then the good old 2.5 will be on one in the garage as well

Anyone want to buy an engine?? Preferable the 305.
                              -Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

• Oh yea bearings show up on Thurs woohoo.

Need to get paid so I can order my gaskets.
                                -Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Comment

Working...
                                X