• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

phhhhh

meanwhile-in-new-hampshire.jpg

url

Hahaha Freeze....

tomorrow's forecast...

Louisville, KY --- High 4°F, Low -3°F versus Minneapolis, MN --- High -13°, Low -21°F

That's ambient too. You factor in windchill and I'm sitting at something close to -50°F.

lol, I know. But I dont have access to a garage right now, and im not working on the car with a windchill near -30F.

Hahaha Freeze....

tomorrow's forecast...

Louisville, KY --- High 4°F, Low -3°F versus Minneapolis, MN --- High -13°, Low -21°F

That's ambient too. You factor in windchill and I'm sitting at something close to -50°F.

My dad hit about -50F last night. No windchill.

ok, finally got some measurements. there are 2 different mounting styles but both are the same coil and are the same height.

CAM00262_zpsi8kumpqo.jpg

CAM00263_zps7npourof.jpg

CAM00264_zpskupyz3hj.jpg

CAM00265_zpsulzjl2dl.jpg

CAM00266_zpsxfxn6hfh.jpg

CAM00267_zpsqd3spt9t.jpg

CAM00268_zpspoa2sups.jpg

Not sure that will clear the space available between the bulges in the valve cover. The height is a good reduction, the Ford COP units are ~59mm from the boot to the top of the connector. However the OD of the COP is only around 30-38mm and then 50mm to the mounting hole flange.

The Audi units look like they would definitely fit, however not sure how the 4 wire connection would work out not knowing what they all do. Might have to do some searching.

EDIT:

Audi%2BCOP1263563147.jpg

Last edited:
Actually looking into this further it would appear that the newer Fusion duratec 3L COP's are where it's at. Would appear to mount in the same fashion, still a 2 wire dumb coil, and have a much smaller space envelope.

1111794.jpg

I just threw 6 of those fusion COP in the trash the other day. I might be able to fish them out if you want them. I can never find buyers for them so I toss them now.

I just through 6 of those fusion COP in the trash the other day. I might be able to fish them out if you want them. I can never find buyers for them so I toss them now.

Cool. I just shot you a text. It would be interesting to try and install them and see how it works out. Who knows if it works perhaps you could start selling them as a COP conversion kit. I'd have to do some testing with them on a bench to really see what is going on, but yea. Good stuff. Thanks for the heads up!

Well unfortunately the later style Ford coils from the Fusion and Coyote engines will not work. Thanks again to Blackcoog for providing the coils. That really would have sucked to have paid for them and had wasted the money on them. They are too long and also to wide at the top to fit within the channel of the 04-06 valve cover design. Oh well. Back to using plug wires.

Have you thought of using GSXR1000(?) coils? They are really small and used for small space applications not to mention they give huge spark out. I'm pretty sure that's what they come from....

$(KGrHqZHJBYFI2rh8CyZBSQv)mlpi!~~60_35.JPG

Yea I did see them. I think those require an igniter box though. I'd have to dig into it to be sure. Looks like it uses the same connector as the Ford coils too. Although looking at the picture they look a lot like the newer Ford coils on the bottom half too. I guess I'd just have to get a hold of one to see.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

did the issue with high rpm misfire on cop conversions go away or something?

this all fascinates me because I still have a pristine 05 wiring harness in my storage unit, coils and all...

I've run mine up to 5k using my torque program which is setup to monitor each plug. And I've not seen any sign.

so what was the basis for all of the CO hate back when I was redoing my 3l? I jumped through fire to force a coil pack in there on the late style valve cover...

I honestly don't know. I have read through all the chaos and I'm not sure. I use this screen to watch them for misfire.
usapa8yr.jpg

Throwing this out there. What about custom valve covers to fit the newer designed Cops?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Back