• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L's ALMOST done... tries to start but doesn't

KAOS_3.0

Hard-core CEG'er
so... I got every thing in, and tried to start it, it stumbles and pours gas fumes out the y-pipe, kicks back every few minutes while cranking it, but wont actually start. I'm pretty sure its too rich, but advice would be nice. will a 3l on a se pcm with 24lb injectors even start at all before a tune? if so, what else could be my problem. on a side note, I also lowered the front with my koni springs since it was almost all apart anyways. well I let my friend help and once I dropped it off the jacks the little washer things on top of the strut towers are floating about 1/3 of an inch above the tower, obviously not good. took them off and their bottoming out on the retaining nuts under them. so it seems like something isn't right with how the strut hats are on, anybody have that happen before? thanks for all the help guys

PS: forgot to add, I stripped the ring gear in the planetary on the starter trying to start it (the second time it kicked back), so right now I'm waiting on a new starter before we can actually get to any troubleshooting.

double and triple check your plug wire routing. I've seen them get mixed up a few times and do exactly what you describe.

Yeah, I didn't want to spring that one on him until he'd confirmed he checked the plug wires, lol. Poor guy.

He spent so much time trying to hack tune the car he forgot to put the pulse wheel on correctly. Sad.

aww com on kaos. say it aint so. say you didnt make that rookie mistake. if you did. you wont be the first nor the last BUT you will be known as the guy that didnt flip his pulse wheel. LOL

aww com on kaos. say it aint so. say you didnt make that rookie mistake. if you did. you wont be the first nor the last BUT you will be known as the guy that didnt flip his pulse wheel. LOL

:censored::censored::censored::censored: happens. My pulsewheel was flipped wrong the first time around :shrug:

oh crap, I didn't want to jump to that conclusion and was hoping (for his sake) that it was installed correctly..... bummer

Black 98 CSVT knows first hand, and right before SZ '08 at that..... sorry man :cry:.

make sure if you have an 04'-05' manifold, that you didnt pinch a wire from the injector harness or the fuel rail in the intake manifold, creating a leak. like blackcoog said.

and this whole pulse wheel thing.... what's so damn hard about it? there's two notches on the thing. take it off, turn it to teh other notch (2.5 cover) and put it back on! if you are swapping cams, mark it with a permanent marker. you'll never make that mistake again. lol

well I posted a picture of the timing wheel a while back and nobody said it was wrong. I rotated it 180 and put it bACK.

i SEARCHED FOR THE OLD THREAD, BUT COULDN'T FIND THE PIC, SO HERE IT IS AGAIN:
img6898tk9.jpg

Shot with Canon PowerShot SD400 at 2008-11-09

what I did do though was swap in the taurus coil, because the 'tour one was shot. this took splicing the harness, and I may have messed up there. I asked dom about it a long time ago, but since he seemingly hates me, his info may have been bad, idk.

I need to get the new starter on so I can try some things out.

I'm guessing based on the tone of this thread that a 3.0 with 24lb injectors and an se pcm is supposed to actually start? it is highly likely that my "hack tune" resistor in the iat was not enough resistance and caused it to default to pig rich. didn't get the chance to take it out and try since the starter went out first.

PS: does anyone know anything about my suspension problem i mentioned?

pulse wheel looks correct. Missing tooth is the top of the pic and because I can't see the notch for the keyway in the rod it must be on the bottom, which would be correct and the splines are facing away from the motor like they should also.... :shrug:

yeah, thats what I'm saying.

has anybody heard of a 3.0 with 24lb taurus injectors starting without a tune?

people like to assume all 3.0 swaps are with the svt pcm and 19lb injectors.

if it should start with my setup, then we know it's either not starting because the signal wires to the coil are mixed up, or that it was simply the hack resistor trick making things worse rather than better.

since the pcm hasn't completed any of the meters, it's hard to know what else may be screwy.

Back