• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zinc-plated blank rotors?

mrspindlelegs

CEG'er
As part of my big CSVT overhaul / upgrade project, the brakes must also be addressed.

One of the things that has always pissed me off with my CSVT is that due to driving it minimally combined with parking it outside, rust builds-up significantly all over the rotors. Obviously, the pads will scrub the rust off where they press against the face of the rotors. However, the pads will not remove the mounds of rust that lie just to each side of the friction track. The result is that these rust mounds will rub against the side of the pad and make a constant mild grinding noise while driving; that's what pisses me off. There are two things I can do to suppress / eliminate this from reoccurring:

1. Park the car indoors as much as possible in a low humidity environment to slow down the rust formation. I will be doing this from now on (dehumidifier is in the garage).

2. Get rotors that are zinc-plated (or cadmium although that is not a very environmentally friendly route to take).

Option #2 is the quandary. Pretty much most drilled, slotted and drilled + slotted rotors have zinc or cadmium plating on them whether they are swap-in equivalents for CSVTs or FSVTs or the big brake kit offerings from Baer, Brembo and Wilwood. I definitely don't want drilled rotors since that is nothing more than "showy glitz" plus they are highly prone to stress cracking. Slotted is acceptable but I would prefer just blanks since there is no worthy gains with slotted rotors. Unfortunately, it seems that nobody makes plated high quality blank rotors. So the questions are:

Have I missed a source that does sell high quality front and back blank plated rotors?

Has anybody ever gone out and had new blank rotors zinc-plated (or other equivalent surface treatment). If yes, where did you go to do this? What thickness coating should be specified?

An internet search suggests that Brake Warehouse might perform this service but I need to call them to discuss this further.

Any help is appreciated. I didn't find anything addressing this in the active Brake forum (haven't searched the archives yet).

I think those won't get the job done that I am asking. The whole rotor face looks like it is bare metal so the rust mounds will still form because the pads do not come in contact with the innermost and outermost regions of the rotor face. I'm thinking the only way to solve the problem is the rotor must be 100% surface treated. This way, the only exposed steel will be where the brake pads have worn through the plating/surface treatment. The plating/treatment will remain on the inner and outermost regions of the rotor face such that the rust mounds will not reappear (or at least be greatly suppressed).

then you would want to go with the EBC USR series. the entire rotor comes plated with EBCs special coating (either black or gold zinc depending on the particular application) and then only where the pads touch gets exposed. they are quite a bit more expensive, but that is for the pair as well.
http://www.tztperformance.com/cdwebcusrrotor.html

then you would want to go with the EBC USR series. the entire rotor comes plated with EBCs special coating (either black or gold zinc depending on the particular application) and then only where the pads touch gets exposed. they are quite a bit more expensive, but that is for the pair as well.
http://www.tztperformance.com/cdwebcusrrotor.html

I have EBC rotors front and rear with the black coating. I noticed after the Nelson Ledges track day at SZ some of the coating started flaking off. They were holding up fine with just street duty before that though.

Milan used high temp engine paint on all of the unswept areas on his rotors, and they're holding up just fine. And as far as I know, he took the car to the track once or twice. If I decide to keep my car, I'm gonna do the same thing. Zinc only protects to a certain point, after which it will rust ... Only way around that is extremely minimum exposure to elements, and parking the car in a garage...

Milan used high temp engine paint on all of the unswept areas on his rotors, and they're holding up just fine. And as far as I know, he took the car to the track once or twice. If I decide to keep my car, I'm gonna do the same thing. Zinc only protects to a certain point, after which it will rust ... Only way around that is extremely minimum exposure to elements, and parking the car in a garage...

So true; zinc will not last forever but it will last quite a while. All I'm trying to do is slow down the rate of oxidation as much as possible. The car will now always be parked in the garage and never driven in rain or winter as long as I can help it.

Interesting, I'll keep this in mind.

the Centric Premium or PowerSlot rotors might actually work. this is a picture of a Miata rear rotor I sold but notice how the coating comes out onto the face of the rotor to cover most of the part that wont get swept by the pad.

DSC03637.jpg

I'm skeptical that these rotors have zinc electroplating on them. It's more likely that they have a zinc phosphate coating which is not as robust as electroplated zinc.

Ive had no issues what so ever with them. as a matter of fact the new owner of the 372K car has been by my shop several times and the rotors still look brand new.. This is going on a year and 4 months now

Ive had no issues what so ever with them. as a matter of fact the new owner of the 372K car has been by my shop several times and the rotors still look brand new.. This is going on a year and 4 months now

I'm just not confident enough in those rotors to commit to a purchase. The rust rate here in the Midwest is much more severe than Florida even when you do everything else right.

I live in the Chicago area and my rotors rust alot too. I have come to the conclusion that either go with high end rotors that are protected with a "good" coating or go cheap and just repalce them when they get to rusty. I have so far chosen to go the cheap rotor and replace it when required.

I recently upgraded my brakes with the Nautilus kit, you know, FSVT rotors on front, CSVT fronts on the back. I
sprayed silver high temp caliper paint on the unswept portions of the rotors and it seems to be holding up well.
You may want to try this inexpesive solution first.

Back