• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

zetec exhaust

Generally when you are talking about an exhaust setup, you mean the header (exhaust manifold). A cougar intake manifold would be pointless.
He's not the first to have mentioned it. It has been asked about before. This is why I promote proper use of the English language :)

Except I think he is talking about Cougar MANIFOLD, and not header...

wth is the point in swapping a stock exhaust manifold for another stock exhaust manifold? I was assuming that the original poster was referring to getting a header for the zetec cougar (the only header that fits on a zetec contour without modification).

nearly no matter what you do with the exhaust it is gonna sound like a bumblebee if you open it up. Thats just the nature of 4cylinder DOHC motors. But dual exhaust is stupid on a 4cylinder, you might as well slap a type R sticker on the back. Headers and a couple magnaflows on a 2 or 2.25 inch exhaust following the same basic design as your factory exhaust is gonna be one of your best bets. Just get a couple good flowthrough magnaflows one at the location of the stock resonator and one in back with your tip, dont go with to large of a tip, and it should cut down on the raspiness of the exhaust and the bumblebeeishness (I invented a word today, you may worship me). I told my wife thats what I am doing to her zetec and she said no. I am not allowed to modify her car:cry: unless something breaks I can replace it with aftermarket goodies.

wth is the point in swapping a stock exhaust manifold for another stock exhaust manifold? I was assuming that the original poster was referring to getting a header for the zetec cougar (the only header that fits on a zetec contour without modification).

Zorrex is only going by what he said.

You know what happens when you assume...

Anyway, I agree with what FunInNorthDakota said, no matter what you do, a 4 cylinder is always going to sound like a 4 cylinder. The best you can do if you don't want that sound is quiet the exhaust down as much as possible.

I've heard Ian's car, and it sounds GREAT. It has NO rasp, and is actually rather throaty (just the way he likes it:laugh:).

Here's his set-up. Corrct me, buddy.

-CTA intake w/ old-style K&N
-New flex-pipe
-SVT from middle of mid-pipe back

I've heard Ian's car, and it sounds GREAT. It has NO rasp, and is actually rather throaty (just the way he likes it:laugh:).

Here's his set-up. Corrct me, buddy.

-CTA intake w/ old-style K&N
-New flex-pipe
-SVT from middle of mid-pipe back

Man you got it all wrong. Focus Intake with old-style K&N WITH plenum on TB (this is important as the intake DEFINITELY changes the exhaust note), cheapy e-bay flex pipe welded on stock bend from Zetec exhaust, then welded into SVT exhaust just after Zetec flange, resonator delete, stock SVT mufflers. Although it's funny because I have yet to hear someone else drive my car and listen to my exhaust, so I don't really know if it sounds good at all :shrug:

Man you got it all wrong. Focus Intake with old-style K&N WITH plenum on TB (this is important as the intake DEFINITELY changes the exhaust note), cheapy e-bay flex pipe welded on stock bend from Zetec exhaust, then welded into SVT exhaust just after Zetec flange, resonator delete, stock SVT mufflers. Although it's funny because I have yet to hear someone else drive my car and listen to my exhaust, so I don't really know if it sounds good at all :shrug:

I actually wasn't that far off:shrug:

Although it's funny because I have yet to hear someone else drive my car and listen to my exhaust, so I don't really know if it sounds good at all :shrug:

Dude, you don't know what your missing....Months after I had my SVT exhaust put in Heather (95GLChick) took my Zetec for a spin in a Krispy Kreme parking lot while I stood outside and watched......

I re-fell in love with my car again!

Last edited:
Back