• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zetec Clutch Replacement

Lavell

CEG'er
After 15 years and 161,000 miles of driving my car hard, my stock clutch has started to slip. So it's time to replace it. The way I'm approaching this is: Get everything done at once so that I don't have to separate the engine and transmission again. I'm already thinking of replacing the flywheel along with the clutch. I have 2 questions.

1) Here are the parts that I'm thinking of getting:

Clutch: http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/par...Clutch_Kits/Street_Mod_Sprung_Full_Face/12276

Flywheel: http://www.andysautosport.com/ford/...flywheels/unorthodox_racing/unor00041865.html

What are your opinions on these parts? Are there other parts that I'm overlooking that I may need to replace also? Tell me what you guys think. In choosing parts, I'm looking for performance as well as longevity.

2) How easy or difficult is it to change out the clutch? I've read in the Haynes manual that the clutch can be changed while the engine and transmission are in the car after separation. Can I change these out myself or do I have to get this professionally done?

As you can tell, I have no knowledge or experience involving clutch replacement. After reading the many threads here, I definitely want to make sure that this replacement is done right the 1st time without any issues. Therefore, I will welcome any and all suggestions. Thank you very much.:help:

Why would you waste all that money when the OEM clutch can be had for much cheaper ?

I have made modifications to the engine to the point where the OEM clutch will not be able to keep up. If I install another OEM clutch, by the way I drive, it will burn it out in no time. The objective here is to install a clutch so that it will enhance performance with my modifications as well as durability and longevity. Here are all of my current modifications:

Weapon R cold air intake
Weapon R headers with downpipe
Magnaflow high flow catalytic converter
Entire exhaust system upgraded to 2.25-inch piping
Walbro GSS250 fuel pump
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Stock fuel injectors with modified tips for better spray pattern
MSD coil pack
Upgraded spark plugs (Pulstar pulse plugs)
Overdrive pulley on the alternator
Underdrive pulley on the crankshaft
Ford 3G 200-amp Alternator
Optima Deep Cycle Battery (yellow top)

Future modifications
BAT Euro Suspension Kit
Upgraded torque camshafts & valves
PCM re-programming

This is my daily driver car. Therefore, I need the clutch to last as long (if not longer) as the stock clutch did.

Do you want performance or longevity? Your not going to get both. Also if the stock clutch lasted 161k why wouldn't another stock clutch last that long? Nothing on your list is going to add that much more power. Iirc that setup sounds similar to striker2's setup and his stock clutch lasted 241k.

Ditch the gimmic spark plugs.

Changing the clutch shouldnt be any hard then on a duratec.

yeah, almost identical. the only things i didnt have was the header and a true CAI but those wont add a huge amount of power over what i made. unless you are making over 150WHP (which i dont see happening with those mods as i made 125WHP) then the stock clutch should not be a problem. If you cant make a stock clutch last with those mods then perhaps you need to change how to drive a bit. my original stock clutch lasted 241K miles before one of the springs blew out, even at that point there was still a decent amount of friction material left on it. Now, i drove the piss out of it on a regular basis for the last 60K+ miles and it never once slipped.

so, my recommendation is a stock clutch and a fidanza flywheel. I can sell you an Exedy clutch kit (includes disc, pressure plate, and TOB) for $415 or you can source the OEM parts from a dealer.

so, my recommendation is a stock clutch and a fidanza flywheel. I can sell you an Exedy clutch kit (includes disc, pressure plate, and TOB) for $415 or you can source the OEM parts from a dealer.

Striker, I may follow your recommendation. I may also get that clutch from you. I never heard of Exedy. Are they any good? Can I change the clutch out myself or do I have to get this professionally done?

Exedy is pretty good clutch. they make everything from a stock replacement to stage5+, although for the Contours they only make a stock replacement. the clutch can be changed out yourself with some work. you will have to remove the transmission from the car which will require lowering the subframe or pulling the entire engine/trans assembly. overall its not terribly difficult (IMO but im a trained tech) just time consuming.

Back