• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

yup

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...false&search_type=both&distance=500&marketZip

That is the new car. Went to go look at the Audi and saw this one there as well. Figured why not give it a test drive. We like it. It actually has only 121K miles or so on it. Very nice overall ride. He is going to fix a ball joint problem on the front before we take it....should get it on monday if all goes well.

looks good!

my folks have a 2001 outback limited, and besides the bad gas milage, it is great to drive. it hauls a lot, goes through anything, and (the outback) goes awesome offorad. i took it down every trail (including the water crossing where water came over the hood :D ) that my buddy took his xterra down.

when you get it, take the crossbars off, they make a lot of windnoise and cut down on fuel economy. it'll still look nice too. oh, and has the timing belt been replaced?

(are you getting ready for a family? :D )

looks good!

my folks have a 2001 outback limited, and besides the bad gas milage, it is great to drive. it hauls a lot, goes through anything, and (the outback) goes awesome offorad. i took it down every trail (including the water crossing where water came over the hood :D ) that my buddy took his xterra down.

when you get it, take the crossbars off, they make a lot of windnoise and cut down on fuel economy. it'll still look nice too. oh, and has the timing belt been replaced?

(are you getting ready for a family? :D )

No family plans yet. My brother and his wife just had their first one on thursday. That was enough for us for now. :) Not sure on the timing belt. The 97 legacy outback that they had there had that done. Where about to get that one when we saw him starting this one up by his house. He is going to call tomorrow and I will have the wife ask him about the timing belt....or at least have him look at it and tell us how it looks

No family plans yet. My brother and his wife just had their first one on thursday. That was enough for us for now. :) Not sure on the timing belt. The 97 legacy outback that they had there had that done. Where about to get that one when we saw him starting this one up by his house. He is going to call tomorrow and I will have the wife ask him about the timing belt....or at least have him look at it and tell us how it looks

k, i believe that they are suppose to be done every 90,000 or 100,000 miles. just dont want you to get burned, :)

maybe i should drive by tommorrow and check it out ;)

k, i believe that they are suppose to be done every 90,000 or 100,000 miles. just dont want you to get burned, :)

maybe i should drive by tommorrow and check it out ;)

If you want to go for it. It might not be there though because he is bringing it in to get the slight shaking it has fixed. But if it is going to be there it will be in the rear near his house. He never even had the chance to put it out on the lot before we snag it. I am sure you can go there and tell him you know us, and look it over on final time for us. :eek: We won't complain.

Who wants in on my suspension swap next week? Come on, it's going to be fun...

Step 1: Remove springs, struts, and mounts from SVT.
Step 2: Remove springs, struts, mounts, and subframe from Cougar.
Step 3: Install SVT struts, springs, and mounts on Cougar with new subframe.
Step 4: Install new struts, springs, and mounts in Contour

Then enjoy :cool:

That should take up 3/4 of my spring break.

i remember the first time lowering the car. it took a few weeks (did it in my spare time). the second time i lowered it, it took about 2 hours :laugh:

my accord is only getting about 25 right now :help: and i dont know why the sudden fall in gas milage. i bought the car so i could save money at the pump over the svt, well, and to replaced a banged up car. as of right now, the svt got better milage! (best i ever saw was 33!)

i think i'll be doing a tune up soon to see if that helps.

I've done suspensions before, just not on a Contour/Cougar so once I have that deal figured out it should go rather quickly. I think I had the subframe out in the junkyard in less than two hours. :laugh:

I'm getting about 24ish in the Cougar right now, went way down when it got cold out. Stupid winter... can't wait for spring now :cool:

Got around 25 mpg with the SVT running to the cities this past weekend. That is with 3 people in the car and it being kind of cold out with it getting to a high of around 15-20. Also the bank 1 sensor 1 02 sensor is still causing the cel to turn on and then off. Wonder why I don't want to replace that one? :shrug:

Got around 25 mpg with the SVT running to the cities this past weekend. That is with 3 people in the car and it being kind of cold out with it getting to a high of around 15-20. Also the bank 1 sensor 1 02 sensor is still causing the cel to turn on and then off. Wonder why I don't want to replace that one? :shrug:

yeah, when my back side O2 sensor went, it dropped a lot. after replacing it (which btw, was a pain in the arse!) the gas milage shot way up again. around town, i usually would average about 20-24, and on the hwy if i did 70, i would see 29+. at 75-80 it would drop to about 27.

you shold replace that O2 sensor, it'll make you happy :)

MELT SNOW MELT!

31.5 out when I left home for lunch. I thought I read that it is much easier to replace the sensor from under the car.

i had the car up on jack stands so i could get under it. i had to get at it from both the top and bottom! i used an O2 sensor socket, as well as a closed end wrenck on the end of that, since i couldnt get the wratchet on the end. the O2 socket fell off as i was finishing, and ran around on my front cross member for about a year or so. when i was doing my front brakes, i saw it and pulled it out :)

Sounds like alot of fun. :crazy:

If I had to go through all that I would probably
suicide2.gif

dude,, I hope you dont have any guns in the house.
LOL.. Well I wont say how many but yes I do. I am just kidding. I actually wouldnt mind doing that kind of work. I need more mechanical experience.:crazy:

Speaking of having guns....

deagle-1.jpg

I love this thing.. Its a beast. Its my home security system.:laugh:

Well, got the new car today from JM Auto. Found one thing wrong with it though. Check engine lite came one, said it was the knock sensor. So we pulled it into his garage and took a gander. The factory zip tie that held the sensor into place freyed the wire so it was shorting out. He took the cost of the part and labor off the car. Also he found a slight buldge in one of the tires on the front when he brought it in today, so he threw two new tires on it as well. The shocks looked good physically but they figured that is what was wrong with it....why the stearing seemed a little loose over bumps. They said everything under there was in extreamly good condition for it being 8 years old. He took the cost of two new front struts and labor off the price as well. :shocked: The guy was really working for a sale, I barely had to haggle with him at all. As for the timing belt, he said while we have it in his garage for the knock sensor lets take a look. First thing I noticed was that the other belts looked really good, so I figured the timing belt was good as well. Took off the cover for it, and sure enough it was a new belt as well. I was extreamly impressed with how he ran things. He really seemed like he wanted to make sure everything was in tip top shape before he sold it. He took the extra steps to make sure we were comfortable with the deal.

He also has a nice turbocharged volvo and saab there....and a audi A4 v6 quattro 5 speed....and a audi wagon turbocharged....and a supercharged park ave. If we had the extra money, I would have wanted the Volvo 2001 Volvo S60 T-5 Sedan....so did the wife :laugh: Honestly guys, if you need a nice "higher performance" car for under $10K, check out his store.

http://www.jmautosalesinc.com/jm_auto_sales_inventory.php

Last edited:
Back