• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Yeah its one of these...

PvtSnafu

New CEG'er
So, I'll skip the sob story.... but I will say I got this with my last dollar, it was all I could get at really... I searched the forums but I didn't quite find the combination of issues I have.

Anyway, I bought 2000 Fleet Contour(Bi-fuel) from my local state auction, I've had luck with buying there before(a long time ago).. And nothing showed up on my previous searching on the contour. Its got a I4, ATX, 128k miles, the interior is rather beat up but everything else seemed to check out, however your not allow to really drive them around when looking. So I end up winning it, picked it up today. Maybe about a half hour after driving back home it starts to jerk a little, I didn't much of it then it started to happen more. Initially around 65 mph then in between 45-65, now its on and off across the board. I can't tell the RPM its a pretty basic dash without a tach...

It jerks, if I accelerate it seems to float & spin(the trans), intially I thought it may be the TC but there is no real loss in speed. It felt like it was have trouble fully shifting, I was thinking it may I have a being a controller issue but I wasn't sure. No lights on the dash, but it sounds a bit throaty and there is some vibration from what I assume is a worn mount. My feeling(hope) it may be the sensor issues I've read about. But the its the combination of the slight jerking, the floating, and no lights.

I'm taking it to get scanned tomorrow, I haven't check the trans fluid yet, what codes should I look out for? What could this be, I'm really hoping for a sensor replacement...

And please spare me the "give up", I've heard it on a couple car forums already but its really not an option for me...

Thanks for any advice,
-Snafu

After some driving in it, I'm pretty sure its the MLPS from everything i've read... Now how do I fix it?? Part number? I've seen a how to on replacing it somewhere, I've tried search and haven't found anything... Could someone point me in the right direction?

Did you check the trans fluid level yet?

Did you check the trans fluid level yet?

First and cheapest thing first. Did you check the fluid level, cheap and easy to do.

As for warning lights, do all of them come on Brake, Airbag, ABS, Check Engine light, Overdrive light when you turn the key on? Having the CEL and OD lights working will help with troubleshooting.

If the fluid level is correct, does the problem feel like the trans is shifting in and out of gear or does it feel like an engine stumble?

Yep. Fluid level is fine... No lights, Overdrive works fine(however problem still persists wither OD is engaged or not). The issue happens at almost random times but usually with in certain speed(55-70) and some incline ranges more then others... As its attempting to settle on where its supposed to be, there is sometimes a sharp drop in acceleration seems to be a heavy down shift. Otherwise you can hear the engine rev as its trying to accelerate, but the transmission floats between gears. I don't think its the transmission as much as one or more piece that interact with the ATX....

Back