• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wiring Harness Labeling

Bugzuki

Veteran CEG'er
What have people done successfully to label the wiring harness to ease reinstallation. In the past I have tried using masking tape with numbers or words, but they always seem to get ripped off. Then they look stupid in the engine compartment when you forget to take one off.

This time I was thinking of using several different colors of electrical tape and making a color code.

Any other ideas?

What happen to being able to put the little guys in the body of the message?
This is the only symbol I know ;)

I got worried about the same thing when I was doing my 3L swap, but to be honest, you are better off without it I think.

It was cake without using any markings. As long as the harness is mounted correctly and routing in the right direction, you just gradually plug sensors in one at the time, and it narrows down very quickly. Many of them are not interchangeable so that helps also.

But see what others have to say first. That just worked easier for me.

For the smilies in the reply boxes, you need to go to User CP, then Edit Options. Change the Message Editor Interface setting to Standard or Enhanced.

What CSVT said. I originally planned on marking everything as well. But as I was taking stuff apart it became more of a hassle. Pretty much everything (sensors and connectors) can only stretch so far, and all the connectors are not interchangable. So basically, you can't mistakenly connect the wrong things together.

I am for labeling. I labeled everything and thought it just saved time in the re-install to attach everything. Especially when you are not familiar with most of the wiring. It ended up saving me time just by writing down what it was or the ford cd removal number. I took my time though so I was not in any rush to finish it.

You got the 2.5L out yet? When is the 3L going in? Im off Sundays if you need an extra hand.
-tropictour

No I am still driving it around. I thought I had my other car fixed, but the Tranny is still cracked - must have missed something.

so I got to get another Sable tranny.:mad:

One of the heavy engine mechanics that I worked with years ago had a cigar box full of different colors of model airplane paint. He would put a dab of paint on each side of every electrical connector he would take apart with a different color for each connection. When he ran out of colors he would use two dabs on each side. He would mark the vacuum lines the same way. He seldom had trouble getting all the connectors back how they belonged very quickly.

Last edited:
I just wanted to add to this...

If you are planning on a swap where the engine is going to be out of the car for a long period of time (month +) then marking where everything goes isn't a bad idea. Like I said in my previous post, it winds up becoming more of a hassle during disassembly. Connections can only go to their specific plugs. and it's pretty easy to find each end of it because they will be in the same area. The only issue you may encounter would be with vaccum lines. In that case, mark which goes where and you will have no issues upon reassembly. And of course if there happens to be a mystery plug that you can't seem to find its partner, post a picture of it here and we'll help you out.

Back