• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

wireing for subs

blackstang5.0

CEG'er
Hi, im having alittle trouble here trying to find a hole in the firewall to get my sub wireing kit to the trunk. I spent most of last night trying to find a hole in the firewall but there is a cloth shield covering most of the firewall and hideing any holes that are in reach from the top.

Id like to avoid drilling, so if you guys know of a hole that i can get my wireing through that would be great. BTW i have a 98.5 svt contour with a 3L which is my daily driver, mustang is a weekend warrior thing :)

there is a couple differerent ways to go about it, i think.
if you search teh old boards you might be able to find pictures.
i used a grommet on the drivers side near the brake booster.
i went into the cowl area and then in thru another grommet into the passenger compartment.

i went into the cowl area and then in thru another grommet into the passenger compartment.

believe that is the most popular way of getting a wire into the cabin, note it will not work if you have an early 95 ....

if you have an atx you can go through the openning in the firewall for the clutch since it isn't there ...

or you can drill a hole by the hood release cable under the cruise control unit ...

Yeah i kinda knew that was on the one i needed to go though. I wanted to take off the cowl but the wiper arms were in the way and it seems i need a puller to get them off. So i was searching for another way, but i guess ill have to rent or buy a puller to get the arms off and get the power cable through that way.

Honestly there are no setbacks or ill effects from drilling a small hole in the firewall and popping in a gromet. if you drill a large enough hole for 1/0 you also have the ability to easily upgrade in the future. Once snapped it, the gromet is permanent and won't come out so wiring chafing isn't an issue.

Back