• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wiper transmission and linkage assembly

TimothyKell

New CEG'er
I have a 98 Contour that needs a new wiper transmission and linkage assembly. Everything else with the wipers is working OK - motor, arms, etc. How difficult/simple would it be to replace this myself?

Thanks.

I pulled one out this past winter, if memory serves it wasn't too bad at all. I was figuring it out as I went, working outside in the dark on a car covered in 6 inches of snow (and I had walk uphill both ways barefoot!lol) and I think to pull it off took me half an hour maybe, including getting the wiper arm and cowl plastic off. Seems like it was a couple nuts (3 or 4 I think?) and the whole assembly, motor and all will come out, then you just have to unhook the transmission from the motor, but I think that was just a bolt or something. As for putting it back in...I know nothing. But I sold the one I took off to a guy in his 50's or 60's who put it on himself, and I don't think he was much more than a shadetree mechanic type. Hope that helps.

Back