• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wierd pulley problem

CrazyCarl

CEG'er
....i was looking at my engine today and found that the next pulley up after the alternator is not spinning,the small one, the belt just rides over it.....does anyone else think this is a problem?

....i was looking at my engine today and found that the next pulley up after the alternator is not spinning,the small one, the belt just rides over it.....does anyone else think this is a problem?
If it is the idler pulley, yes, it is a problem. The belt will "glide" over it, eventually "glazing" the belt and not be able to run the front end accesories (a/c, alternator, power steering, WP for zetec). If it is the tensioner, your front end accessories will not function properly due to lack of tension.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1b/be/f3/0900823d801bbef3.jsp

idle pulley is very easy to install you may as well replace the serpentine belt while your at it both jobs very easy on this car the top motor mount can get in your way but a ratchet is easily meneuverable inbetween the holes on the mount good luck and bloody knuckles to ya

Back