• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Why would they do this!!??

Why?

Why?

I've never agreed with the HP practice of using unmarked cars. If you are an LEO you should be in a vehicle that is CLEARLY marked as such.
Unless they work as a detective they should have no reason to be hiding in an unmarked car.
Someday when speed enforcement is clearly admitted to being the revenue collecting venue that it is, LEO's won't have to waste their time collecting speed taxes. They will be able to do what they were hired and trained to do, enforce and uphold the law, protect the citizens, not make the general public afraid of them as mobile tax collectors. Then unmarked/entrapment vehicles won't be needed.

Jim T.

do people really find it that hard to spot unmarked police vehicles??

Well they are, by nature, unmarked, so sometimes. And according to this thread there's a fair variety out there: Crown Vics (a bit more obvious), Tauruses (millions of them out there), Intrepids, now Chargers, etc.

Sure, if they have an official license plate or 5 antennas on the back it's obvious, but that's not always the case.

Yea there are a good number of tuners in this area and they impounded both the Z06 and the EVO and decided to keep them. The bad thing with the EVO is that it is somewhat modded out and I have heard that it is known to run up on tuners, rev the engine, and waits for you to take off. Then he flips on the lights and runs you down. It blows.

isnt this what they call enticment and unable to hold up in court?

Jon Christy

We've got Chargers here in SEMI, some are all black and some have white doors, either way its taking some getting used to, thats for sure:eek:

I've never agreed with the HP practice of using unmarked cars. If you are an LEO you should be in a vehicle that is CLEARLY marked as such.
Unless they work as a detective they should have no reason to be hiding in an unmarked car.
Someday when speed enforcement is clearly admitted to being the revenue collecting venue that it is, LEO's won't have to waste their time collecting speed taxes. They will be able to do what they were hired and trained to do, enforce and uphold the law, protect the citizens, not make the general public afraid of them as mobile tax collectors. Then unmarked/entrapment vehicles won't be needed.

Jim T.

So let me see if i get what you're saying....you're saying that because a cop pulls you over for speeding, which is against the law, right there in black and white in every single town, city, and state statutes, they are just acting as tax collectors? Wow....you do realize they pull people over for speeding because they are BREAKING THE LAW....wow....so them pulling people over for speeding would be...oh my god...upholding and enforcing the law AND protecting the citizens. I'm sorry, but i fail to see the logic in your thinking.

Miami has an unbelievably large fleet of un-marked units. Everything from Corvette's, to porches, to ferrari's, magnums, chargers, mustangs, volvo's. It all depends on what they impound from the drug dealers. Gotta love free cars. My understanding, on Miami Beach and South Beach, many of the magnums, chargers and 300's with out of state tags are cops. Mostly for DUI enforcements and public intoxication enforcement.

Robert

Giving tickets is a big source of revenue for certain areas, so jthursby has a point. Their unmarked cars aren't there to slow people down (which a marked car just placed in view of speeding motorists would do), they are there to ticket people and get that fine money. You can figure out what counties are really looking to make money by the amount of their fines and how they go about enforcing the law.
If they really wanted to protect the citizens, they'd target more of the bad drivers (some people can drive fast and still be safer than the idiot beside them drinking coffee, putting on makeup, and talking on a cell phone) rather than hiding somewhere waiting to take somebody's money.

fl also has a few chargers as well as some siezed tuner cars and as for why cops are using more and more unmarked cars (usually tuner cars) is to deal with street racers as a way to blend in with them so they can stop a race as it starts i mean if your dumb enough to street race then you deserve to get busted.

Last edited:
i live in san diego and get this: the cops east of here have a freajin black and white light barred pt cruiser..... btw i am posting from my wii internet channel :D

I've seen a Chrysler 300 being used as a cop car!

What pisses me off about this is the government using our money to buy luxury cars (the 300 is more than luxury for someone in my place).

What pisses me off about this is the government using our money to buy luxury cars (the 300 is more than luxury for someone in my place).
In terms of pedestrian vehicles, it's cheaper than the Crown Vic!
300 = starts at $24555
CV = starts at $25445

So let me see if i get what you're saying....you're saying that because a cop pulls you over for speeding, which is against the law, right there in black and white in every single town, city, and state statutes, they are just acting as tax collectors? Wow....you do realize they pull people over for speeding because they are BREAKING THE LAW....wow....so them pulling people over for speeding would be...oh my god...upholding and enforcing the law AND protecting the citizens. I'm sorry, but i fail to see the logic in your thinking.
Robert
And I suppose you NEVER speed?? BS. When speed limits are increased to reasonable levels on limited access highways near what the 85 percentile drives, then bs speed traps won't be necessary. When there are no longer quotas to be met by LEO's (Florida highway patrol) for issuing speeding violations, then bs speed traps won't be necassary. Issuance of speeding tickets has NOTHING to do with safety anymore. The repeal of the national 55 limit was proof of that, fatalities on limited access highways went DOWN, as speeds went up, and have continued to drop per miles traveled since then. The fines are now merely revenue for most states and municipalities. That much is fact. The fact that it's a law does not change the result of it being a collection. I would rather pay a gas tax than that.

And I don't expect you to understand logic.

Jim T.

So your saying that if cops were to stop issueing tickets, there would be no effect on the number of fatalities related to speeding in the US? It's not going to be the car that is speeding that gets killed in an accident, its the guy doing the speed limit that gets cut off, slams on the brakes, and swerves into the guardrail at 70mph.

I never said i dont speed. I speed like crazy. And if/when i get pulled over for it, i'm not going to ***** about it because i was breaking the law, i'm going to pay the fine and go about my business. I've been caught speeding by a speed trap, it sucks, but i do think they are a good idea and a nessecary "evil" in upholding the law. FHP in certain area's, do nothing but traffic enforcement. And they do not have quota's, they havent had ticket quota's in almost 10 years now. They dont even give incentives anymore for the number of tickets being issued. One of my friends is a trooper, and he writes tickets left and right for people speeding, he's still a Corprol. Has been for years. But thats all he has to do down here, is traffic. Miami-Dade Police and the municipalities take care of the other laws to be upheld, like not beating ur wife or stealing peoples property.

Robert

yeah we have a z06 and a camaro z28 that cruise the e-way around i96 that are inmarked cars i wathced the z28 come up on my ass and i thought he wanted to race so i took off and didnt let him pass me untill he turned on his lights and pulled some guy over in front of me. close call

And I suppose you NEVER speed?? BS. When speed limits are increased to reasonable levels on limited access highways near what the 85 percentile drives, then bs speed traps won't be necessary. When there are no longer quotas to be met by LEO's (Florida highway patrol) for issuing speeding violations, then bs speed traps won't be necassary. Issuance of speeding tickets has NOTHING to do with safety anymore. The repeal of the national 55 limit was proof of that, fatalities on limited access highways went DOWN, as speeds went up, and have continued to drop per miles traveled since then. The fines are now merely revenue for most states and municipalities. That much is fact. The fact that it's a law does not change the result of it being a collection. I would rather pay a gas tax than that.

And I don't expect you to understand logic.

Jim T.

You must drive through Lawty, Waldo, or Stark on 301 :nonono:
Those areas are speed trap tax colleting areas.
You can tell when it goes from 65MPH on a major highway to 30MPH w/in about 4/10 of a mile.. and it's a 6 lane highway.

down in maryland, i watched an un-marked new black pontiac GTO pull some dude over.. thats problably the sickest unmarked cop car i've ever seen. I have a buddy at school who knows a cop who drives around his Z06 with 650+ hp on I-76 (i think) catching street racers and such.

You must drive through Lawty, Waldo, or Stark on 301 :nonono:
Those areas are speed trap tax colleting areas.
You can tell when it goes from 65MPH on a major highway to 30MPH w/in about 4/10 of a mile.. and it's a 6 lane highway.
I have gone thru those areas pretty often.
It's fun to go thru at thirty at the top of second with the Valentine One screaming!
I'm sure SOME people would believe even speed traps are about safety, not revenue!
Lorida on 98 is another. Also never come hauling over the bridge on 27 coming into Clewiston. Radar often is there.
All in the name of safety of course.

Jim T.

Back