• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Why do contour owners like thier cars so much?

First hand the looks and the handling and I have the basic LX 4 cylinder. I would kill for an SVT.

The dislikes....leg room in back, the haze of the headlights, the stock stereo and thats about it. Other than that its a great car.

The legroom in the back has never really been an issue with me, granted i'm only like 5'7/8"

All stock stereo's in a non high end car/model usually suck, but i never leave anything alone so it was never a problem for me. I like em, and i don't know why.

The dislikes....leg room in back

Never been a problem for me, though I never sit in the back! :laugh:

Handling: Like many others have said. Also not the ugliest thing out there, but not flashy enough that your going to arouse the wrong kind of attention.
Fuel Economy: Not bad at all for a car that is 12 years old. Even now driving only in the city I get about 25MPG. After I finish getting it repaired I hope to see that improve as well!
Size: The car is not too small and not too large. I sometimes hate driving the Taurus in rush hour traffic because when I go to check my blind spot all I get is a view of the rear pillar. Also hard to tell where your bumpers are on the Taurus as well. Don't have either or those issues with the Mystique.

The only thing I really don't like all that much is how the engine is laid out. But its not even that bad. Just got to know the tricks to it.

i will not hesitate to hit you with a shoe upon a meeting. and i'm hoping your playing the stupidity card here, but i'll still hit you with a shoe.

man, your a chineese mexican. do you even have shoes:shrug:

oh you son of a ***** hahaha they're wabaki

Wabaki ... don't u mean slippers ... LMAO.....

i have had 2 CSVT's

first was a 2000 black/tan beautiful and got repo'd that sucked ..
second is a 1998.5 silver/midnight blue and i blew the 2.5 up feb 8th 2006 and just drove it for the first time tonight 8/23/07 with the 3.0 i just dropped in it ... i love that car i had a 13.7 1/4mile sec ford zx2 i traded for my first svt and missed 3 payments while in iraq so when i got back it was gone..... but i would love to have that 2000 back.... but now with the 3.0 in im happy...... :p

Why do I love my contour. Long story short; my step daughter got her license to drive so she needed(wanted) a car....I found this cute little red looking car at my dealer....Drove nice....wow quick for a ford I thought..leather...sunroof....how much? Perfect.
I think what hooked me was the "smile" on her face when I pulled up in the Mystique:cry: :laugh: . Thanks to this forum almost 4 years later its running better then when I bought it. Only made since that I bought another one for me. Puts a smile on my face. Am I the only one that talks to the contour ,alone ,in the garage?,,,, :blackeye: Im gonna go count my collection of contour/mystique parts now.

Adding link Haha,funny video=)

Last edited:
This is a great topic. I've had 2 Contours personally (a '99 Sport SE I bought brand new, and a CSVT I just purchased a month ago.) I LOVED my SE and drove it for 7 years before the Michigan roads beat the $hit out of the suspension and I got tired of replacing brakes and tires once a year. I foolishly sold the car to a friend at work who still drives it daily and she has 120,000 miles on her and the engine runs like the day I bought it.

I guess the new car bug bit me to a certain degree and I wound up buying an '06 Fusion SEL with the 6 banger.. I have compared the 2 cars ever since.. for they both have their advantages and disadvantages but when it comes down to it, at least for me, the Fusion lacks "fun factor" when compared to the Contour.

The Contour was very peppy, great on gas and handled like a dream. THe Fusion is bigger and handles the bumpy roads better and has a classy interior. BUT, I have-on many occasion, silently cussed myself out for ever getting rid of my Contour!:nonono:

The Fusion is a great car but it just doesn't comapre to the driving experience of the Contour. My lease is going to expire in Dec. so I picked up an SVT last month and the Fusion already sits in the driveway. I LOVE driving the CSVT! Plain and simple.. I could care less what anyone else thinks about my car.. I Love driving thacar as it feels like such a performace car in handling, shifting and acceleration.

*** A side note.. I liked my '99 so much when it came time to land my sister a used car, I purchased a '99 off of Ebay that looks and runs like a brand new car.(Purchased 3/07) It is an SE Sport model and she just loves it. I test drove it before buying it and it even handled like a brand new car! I couldn't believe how well this car performed and looked for being 8 years old.

Also, I like the fact that the CSVT is a limited edition car. I think they will always have a following for this very reason. I Love the crap outta mine and plan on running her til the wheels fall off. She is GREAT on gas, cheap on insurance, easy to maintain, most replacement parts are reasily available from scrap yards and she is still the funnest car to drive in their current price range.

Back