• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

which shift tower ?

LocoLobo

CEG'er
ok, so i bought a mtx from a guy on here a while back and he told me it had a blown diff.... and he was right so i wasn't suprised by that. i am surprised to see my shift tower is completely different than the one that i bought from him, the reason i'm just finding this out is because i left the transmission wrapped in the plastic it was shipped in so i could keep it in my condo...

the question is, what shift tower do i have, the part number is ford XS4R-7211

i know it's a stretch without pictures, but i figure it was worth the a shot to ask with the part number i have. i googled it and everything i found was in spanish? i'll get some pictures tomorrow... i'm wondering if i somehow got a pre-98... or a focus tower... just wondering if it'll work or if i need to put mine back on when i drop the transmission back in. all help is appreciated of course, and thanks in advance.

Will

the pre98 does and doesnt have a shift tower, its way different anyway.

there are two different ones for the contour. one is completely metal and one has a plastic cover. the later is like a focus tower but isn't a focus tower. I do believe either style has the same pins for the shift cables.

imho the early, complete metal tower is has a better feel. but then again it uses bearings where the later style uses bushings.

ok, i believe this to be the earlier one then.... b/c of the plastic cover. the one on the car now doesn't have any plastic cover at all and the one on the "good" transmission has the plastic cover. i'll post pics tomorrow, unless i forget.

That part number you listed is incomplete. It should be XS4R-7211-AC. It looks like it is off a 97-01 Mondeo.

ok, i believe this to be the earlier one then.... b/c of the plastic cover. the one on the car now doesn't have any plastic cover at all and the one on the "good" transmission has the plastic cover. i'll post pics tomorrow, unless i forget.

no, the early one is all metal. the later one has the plastic cover.

Back