• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Which Lake Country Pad do I use when applying a straight polish?

m4gician

Hard-core CEG'er
For you PC users out there, I was wondering after I apply my cleaner in KIO using a white polishing pad, do I also use a white pad to apply a polish?

I mean here's what I did before (after wash and clay):

Swirl Removal
Then KIO
then sealant glaze
then carnauba

From reading and reading KIO is more of a cleaner than a polish so I thought there must be a polish I can apply before the SG. Does it have to be an abrasive polish like optimum? I mean have Poorboys SSR 2.5 but I think that's too abrasive.

In general, which pads should I use? I don't have a yellow pad, only the orange, white and black pads. Which pad for which polish?

On top of that what pad do I use to apply? Sorry to have to ask such a stupid question but I wasn't able to find a clear answer and rather than risk damaging the clearcoat I'd rather clarify, thanks in advanced guys.

Last edited:
I have never used the LC pads, but I have tons experience w/ the Meguiar's pads for the PC. The most important thing to do is NOT use an aggressive/cutting pad w/ the PC. The PC doesn't spin fast enough to break products down w/ a cutting pad. You end up causing micromaring which leaves a haze in your clearcoat which will need to be corrected w/ additional steps. I use a polishing pad for cleaners and cleaners/polishes. For straight polishes, sealants, and carnubas, I use the softest pad Meguiar's offers. Hope that helps!

I use Mothers Power Polish on the Yellow or Orange Lake Country pad, depending on how much defect removal I have to do. For a final polishing, I go over it again with the White pad.

Back