• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Which Direction To Go.

rothian717

New CEG'er
Hey Everyone,

I recently totaled my 2002 Wrx and have begun work on a 98 svt i have had over 7 years now.

Bad news is that the engine has spun almost every rod bearing. sop now its on to the options to get her back up and running.

My main thing is cost. I dont make much money so a huge overly elaborate rebuild is out. I would like to go 3l ( yes i read the FAQ) but i am having trouble figuring which route would be the simplest and cheapest route.

I do not want a full 3l as when we go to sell it eventually i would like it to look as close to stock as possible. So that leaves a hybrid (3l block/ SVT heads) or Port Matched 3l. Now i haven't been in contours for the past 5 years so i am not sure which direction everyone is headed. Just looking for an idea of the direction i should be going.:crazy:

Thank You,
Ian.

port matched is the way to go for you I think. The other thing you could consider with the port match is rather then actually port the heads to accept the LIM, just buy an adapter plate. Although I never looked at the cost of the adapter plate versus the cost of doing the port work. My thought would be you'd save enough time and hassle to make the adapter plate worth while. I believe NPG has them, but a guy could make one if he had the resources as well.

EDIT: Nevermind looks like NPG sells the adapter plate for $399.95 (link) so hand port away :laugh:

28056275.jpg

Last edited:
Keep in mind you'll need a tune since you'll be removing the IMRC's with that adapter. I think you need to use the 3L escape fuel rail and you may have to buy their fuel rail adapters as well.

Back