• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Which Brake Pads for Road Racing?

I will be using my SVT for a DE track car. I am looking for pads for my 98 model that takes the thicker pads. What are you guys running for pads? I drive agressive and will burn up Hawk HPS or Porterfield R4-S pads in no time. I need a race compound.

I will be buying rotors too. Is it possible to buy 99 rotors and pads to get thicker rotors and a race compound pad? Will my 98 calipers work with the 99 rotors? Thanks, Duane

rotors are the same. pad size is different. no the late SVT or non-SVT brake pads, since they are the same, will not work in the 98 SVT brake caliper.

If you really wanted to, you could buy a set of E1 brackets and calipers to run the other pads. :shrug:

DE as in Drivers Education. I've been instructing with Porsche, BMW, Mustang, Nissan and Other clubs on road courses for about 15 years.

Also, by refering to E1, the E1 cars use the same as the regular cars? My 98 was built on 2-12-98 and states it is the E1 on the origional window sticker. :help: Thanks, Duane

yes and no. the later 99+ svt came with the normal caliper but still had the larger rotor. So you would need to ask around to get the 99+ svt front calipers and brackets

mintex 1144, hawk hp plus, or ebc red stuff will be the best pads to choose from. Don't worry about different rotors. Don't forget about good brake fluid.

mintex 1144, hawk hp plus, or ebc red stuff will be the best pads to choose from. Don't worry about different rotors. Don't forget about good brake fluid.

I was afraid of that! boy they won't last three weekends. I ran r-4 and hawk black on my mustang I had last. I need to get some SS brake lines and I always run ATE Super Blue fluid. Thanks, Duane

Best source for SS braided brake lines?

Just know that the rear hoses may need an adapter to fit. The previous owner ran into that problem so I just have stainless lines on the fronts.

^^ yeah im going to have to look into that before i order mine. Since they make an ABS(incl. SVT) and a non ABS(excl. SVT).

Hawk HP Plus with ATE Super Blue fluid. That is what we run on our Mustang track/autocross car. They work good cold, but once they heat up, they work really good. Be sure to bleed brakes after every event.

I used to run Porterfield R4 ...not the R4-S and they were amazing. No fade at all. R4-S was a street compund. Call up Porterfield and they will make a set for you. They dont list the R4 pads for the contour on their site but they will make them for you. My students were amazed when i ran those pads on the car with no other brake mods. People always thought i had done some major brakes mods / upgrades when they rode along with me. Give them a call.

Cheers

Fern

I've got them just on the fronts (have rear pads but don't have them on yet). I used them in the mountains and at gingerman. They stop crazy good and don't fade. I'd usually have brakes glowing red when running the mountain roads but not with the carbotechs, of course they get hot just not to the point where it affects their stopping power. They stop so quick it took getting used to. They make some noise and are dusty but about what is to be expected from that kind of pad.

Back