• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Where to get E0 Caliper Springs?

99Mystique ATX

Hard-core CEG'er
I bought a set from BAT, which they shipped out quickly, but installing them one of them broke. I don't know why or how, im assuming the metal was just too brittle.

But anyways, i've looked everywhere and I talked to BAT earlier and they said I probably installed it wrong and thats why it broke... I've done this many times, I know how the clip broke, but im still working on this problem. Anyways, they said they're out of them. I've tried all local parts stores and the stealership, whcih claim the E0 and E1 spring are the same. Any ideas?? Maybe Bill J??

See if an auto parts store is willing to look through their stock to see if they can match up your old one. They are a pretty common style. Most ATE calipers have that style and some other car make may use the same spring. They look very close to the ones on my Escape.

I also noticed today that the rear caliper of the new Volvo S40s looks extremely similar to my E0 front calipers. Anyone know specifics?

Actually, beyond looks it may not have a damn thing in common. I saw that and though "Ford owned" so maybe they are the same.

But then today I was washing my moms Saab and noticed those looked similar too. I decided it probably just looks.

I went to the stealership and bugged them, the guy there told me it was the same, but I have one E0 and one of the regular clips and they're different... I think I *could* make the regular one work but it'd require drilling into the caliper... So, im definitely gonna try to find something similar...

I will try the parts store that got me the parts I have now and see if they can find me anything that'll work...

I remember reading a while back that one BMW caliper was nearly identical... Or at least I think I remember reading that...

i have found that parts stores( car quest, auto zone) only have the non-svt ones. they dont fit mine at all. and the store shows no diff for parts. AKA all the same. so i goto the stealership. for 8 bucks each i have ones that fit.

You wouldn't happen to have a part number would you?? My local dealership told me there was no difference in the spring.

I just got off the phone with BAT, they said they won't return the spring and can't give me a replacement because they are currently out of stock and are waiting for more to come in. Im dissappointed about that, but there's really nothing I can do.

I just got off the phone w/the local parts store and they said if I come in they'll pull all the hardware kits they have in stock and look through them to find something comparable.

You wouldn't happen to have a part number would you?? My local dealership told me there was no difference in the spring.

I just got off the phone with BAT, they said they won't return the spring and can't give me a replacement because they are currently out of stock and are waiting for more to come in. Im dissappointed about that, but there's really nothing I can do.

I just got off the phone w/the local parts store and they said if I come in they'll pull all the hardware kits they have in stock and look through them to find something comparable.

part# f5rz2b486a , i just picked some up today. if i were you i would goto teamfordparts.com and put in the part # there like 5 bucks.

Last edited:
ok i just put mine on the RIGHT way and my brakes are ALOT softer than without. what gives????

That's weird... Are you absolutely sure they're on the right way?? The spring should push the bracket and caliper together, pinching the pad...

Are you sure that is the SVT E0 spring part number??

thats whats on my car. someone said there the same. but you should contact bill by email and ask him. or i can do it for you. but as far as my brakes, yes the pad is pinched so i just dont get it.i wonder if its cause i bedded in my new pads without them.
ill take a pic and post it tommarow

Last edited:
i have been driving it all summer without the spings, there bedded. also i just emailed bill about part #'s so ill let you know what he says

Last edited:
ok so after thinking a bit i wanna say the autozone ones might fit. you have to get the hardwear kit but if its in a zip lock type bag you CAN return it once opened if they dont fit

Local parts store, which is a home-owned parts-plus has a spring coming in tomorrow morning for me, so hopefully that's it, if not, i'll run over to the stealership with that P/N to see if they have one...

I'm excited to get the brakes on... I'm not gonna be too happy if I can't get 'em on tomorrow... But, I suppose I should probably be working on HW on my day off.

well my dealer had to order mine but they came in the next day so. and i never got an email back from bill so that p/n is best i can do. and i took my springs back off and my pedal presser is back to normal. lol i dont get it

The pads have worn or set at a slight angle due to not having the aprings hold them properly in place. As the pads wear with the springs in place, pedal firmness should return.

Perhaps to a less extent, the same thing happens when new pads are installed. The pedal is not as firm until the pads and rotors seat into each other.

Interesting...

None of the local parts stores have any idea that there is a different clip, everywhere I go says to just go to the stealership to get the part... I don't honestly know where to go at this point.

I *think* the Focus is a similar clip, my parents' '05 seems to be the same, maybe I should have the parts store get in one of those.

I beleive the P/N you listed is for the Non-E0 calipers... But i'll be doing more research this afternoon... I wanna get these brakes on tomorrow... Its like my only day off this week..

Back