• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wheel/Tire size FAQ Read Here First

225/45-17 is a good size for 17's. 235's run the risk of rubbing unless you really do your homework, and it's not just the fender you have to worry about, but the struts too. I ran 225/35-19 on +45mm wheels and there was about 1/8" clearance between the inside of the tires and the rear struts. A tire that is slightly taller than stock is generally desired by most people on here, who are typically of the opinion that the stock 215/50-16's were a little small. My 225/45-17 setup did not rub at all on my car that was lowered on Eibachs and Konis, but did rub on my car that ended up having BAT springs on it (I thought it was stock). The PO of the eibach car might have rolled the fenders, I don't know.

215/45-17 on a stock car that sits like a 4x4 look goofy IMO. Here's an example of 215's on a car that is slightly lower than stock-

102_1849.jpg

102_1824.jpg

heck with it, im going with the 235/40/17 yokohama s drive from discount tire. also have the machine shop next door make some custom spacers once i get everythig fitted

I still advise against putting a 235 tire on a 7 inch wide wheel. There is only disadvantage compared to a 225 tire on anything narrower than a 7.5 inch wheel. I will update my original post with new tire info. Also, I'm going to push the R-compound tire info and pictures to the bottom. Most people here are probably more interested in summer tires and such.

I picked up a set of E0 SVT wheels for my '97 Contour (14" steels). Couple questions: Are there any known fitment issues with this combo? I mounted a front wheel, and the clearance is VERY tight with the spring perch.

Second question: Are there different lug nuts for the SVT wheel, vs the steels?

Thanks,

Tony

225/45-17 is a good size for 17's. 235's run the risk of rubbing unless you really do your homework, and it's not just the fender you have to worry about, but the struts too. I ran 225/35-19 on +45mm wheels and there was about 1/8" clearance between the inside of the tires and the rear struts. A tire that is slightly taller than stock is generally desired by most people on here, who are typically of the opinion that the stock 215/50-16's were a little small. My 225/45-17 setup did not rub at all on my car that was lowered on Eibachs and Konis, but did rub on my car that ended up having BAT springs on it (I thought it was stock). The PO of the eibach car might have rolled the fenders, I don't know.

215/45-17 on a stock car that sits like a 4x4 look goofy IMO. Here's an example of 215's on a car that is slightly lower than stock-

102_1849.jpg

102_1824.jpg

what kind of wheels are on the csvt behind the FSVT wheel contour??? Anybody run a 40mm offset before on a 17inch by 7inch and have you guys ever heard of or seen these wheels before???

wheel.jpg

I ran 17x7s with a 40mm offset. lowered on B&Gs they were fine with 215/45 tires but rubbed slightly in the rear with 225/45s (until i rolled the fenders)

I picked up a set of E0 SVT wheels for my '97 Contour (14" steels). Couple questions: Are there any known fitment issues with this combo? I mounted a front wheel, and the clearance is VERY tight with the spring perch.

Thanks,

Tony

Has this been answered yet? I'm looking at doing the same thing.
Thanks

I have 205/50/16s on my ST24 and used to run Dunlop Direzza DZ101s all round, and I found that they grip remarkably well for what has been said as not quite a full performance tyre. I was entering sweepers at about 100mph and didn't have to brake at all or shift down. The beauty of these tyres is that they tell you when they're gong to let go, and grip loss is relatively progressive. I did lose the back end after touching the rumble strips on the exit of one corner while entering another (Google Pukekohe Park Raceway), but power on and the back end snaps back in line.

One thing I don't like about them is that they're next to useless on gravel roads. I lose all grip on gravel roads and its like trying to drive on ice

These days I have a pair of Nankang NS2 on the rear pair. Not going to comment on these tyres as I haven't done any track work with them and probably never will as I'm looking to move to 225/40/17 and a 20-30mm drop this year. Tyres I'd be looking to Toyo Proxes or Bridgestone RE002, as the DZ101s don't appear to be listed in that size

Thanks,

Tony

Has this been answered yet? I'm looking at doing the same thing.
Thanks
You should both be good , the steely lugs will fit but are kind of ugly

I know I'm digging this old thread up, but I have the chance at a good deal to get 18" rims with 215/35/r18's 7" wide that came off a focus svt. Two tires are shot and they are Rox Racing wheels (any good?). My car I want to put them on is a 2000 but has bat shocks/struts and springs. I am concerned about the car being lowered. I think that tire size is a little smaller than stock, a couple things - should I get a different size since I have to anyways for 2, and if anything I would rather them be SLIGHTLY larger if there is no side that is exact for a stock comparison, but that would increase the chance of rubbing? I've never rolled a fender my luck I'll screw something up lol (don't know easy or difficult it is). I am not sure what the offset is ill post when I find out... Thanks guys!

Back