• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

wheel bearings and rear subframe problems (unrelated issues)

steelblueSE

Hard-core CEG'er
How many of you guys are replacing wheel bearings fairly often? It seems like I am replacing them every 50k miles or less.

Also how many of you guys are experiencing the rear subframe rusting out where the suspension arms bolt up? I just had to patch hole i could fit my fist through, just a few inches from the gastank.

Corrosion of the rear subframe is very common, especially if the car is driven in winter where there is a snow and thus, road salt. You better check the condition of your gas tank filler neck while you are at it. The neck runs right above the rear subframe and has also been known to rust out. The good news is that you can still get brand new rear reinforced subframes from BAT Inc. The bad news is that gas tank filler necks have been discontinued and there are none remaining in stock at Ford - junk yards, CEG part-outs and Ebay are your only hope on this part.

I can't really offer an opinion on the rear wheel bearings since I've never had one go bad yet.

I'm not gonna bother with a new rear subframe, I only need the car to last another year or so. The hole in the subframe stopped about an inch from where some suspension arms bolt up and it just really worries me.

I'm curious about the rear subframe problems in these cars. I've been building/wrenching on fords for a while and the way my buddy's car dove and the back end wanted to peek around the front fender i'm thinking the problem is there - it's the only thing i didn't suspect.

which rear subframes are compatible with his 98 contour svt?

If i buy one to weld/box/reinforce how do i pick a good one and not a problematic piece.

What range of cars fit/cross over?
--- Found it - experts say "all"
--- http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?66368-Rear-sub-frame&highlight=rear+crossmember

Does a modified rear crossmember sacrifice vehicle value and originality?

I've got a chassis fabricator on standby. Any suggestions/links/pics for what i should look for or at?
I looked at the BAT piece and his stocker and i think a pick-n-pull donor might be a good start.

Thanks!

The re-enforcement involves the rear sway bar mounts on the subframe. They sometimes crack and you will have the bar moving around. If you install a bigger bar it can crack sooner due to the added stress the bigger bar puts on the stock mounts.

if the wheel bearings are failing in under 50k there are two options. The axle nut has not been tightened enough, it needs to be 212 ft-lbs. Second option is the hub is shot and needs to be replaced. An indication of this is the axle nut lossening up over time, even when torqued correctly.

if you plan on keeping it, i'd go oem. either new(if BAT even has them still) or find a good southern/low mileage doner and sandblast it, have it pc'd and be happy.
i'm calling BAT in the AM to inquire about the sf, i'll update.

Back