• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What's a really good engine

GeorgeSVT

CEG'er
Hi im kind of new to this site so bare with me. haha. i have a 1998 svt contour and it had a 3.0 duratec in it. I go on vacation to visit my dad for the holidays and I was generous enough to let my brother use my car for transportation for work. I come back home to find out that my engine is now blown and that i need to replace it:nonono:. so i was waiting down the road to figure out a nice swap for my car for a better engine but im kind of forced to do it now. so i need help finding a really good and reliable but powerful engine for my car. i know the taurus engine is one but i was wondering if there were any other options and what year would be the best. please help me. i need to get my car up and running as soon as possible cause it was MY only transportation. thank you

i heard you have to do some mods in order to do the escape engine

No, the escape engine is a drop-in. The taurus needs to have the front cover swapped and the crank wheel flipped.

What kind of 3L was in it?(hybrid, full, port-matched)

If it is a port-matched engine, the heads will have to be ported for the intake. Unless you go with NPG's LIM

Do you know what year motor your 3L was from? The 2004+ motors have some better updates to them (revised PCV system, larger coolant passages (might just be a larger coolant inlet)), but you will need to do some mild mods to make it work... if you had an older motor in there. I think the 2003+ 3L's have the better cams (same lift as the CSVT cams)... but I can't recall which year for sure that this happened.

Where in AZ are you? And do you know who owned that CSVT before?

edit: just saw your blog post. If you have a 2.5L UIM, then your current motor either has 2.5L heads or the 3.0L heads were ground to match the 2.5L LIM. You're going to have changes to make to use the full 3L (including manifolds)... so you should find a 2004+ motor. As someone said, the Taurus motor is usually cheaper than the Escape one.

Back