• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

what to do with leftovers ?

MadDog

Veteran CEG'er
So I finished doing the front and rear suspension (struts, springs, lower control arm, etc) and I have the leftovers - the original parts I took off. What do I do with these ? I don't think municipal trash will take them. Do steel parts like this go to the recyclers ?

I never considered this before…...

thanks,

Mad Dog

So I finished doing the front and rear suspension (struts, springs, lower control arm, etc) and I have the leftovers - the original parts I took off. What do I do with these ? I don't think municipal trash will take them. Do steel parts like this go to the recyclers ?

I never considered this before…...

thanks,

Mad Dog

If they are any good, sell the parts.

All the parts have ~240K miles on them. They are physically intact but worn. Do these really have sale value ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

Maybe you can sell the springs here, depending on their condition, especially if they're rust-free, but don't expect much beyond having the buyer cover up the shipping.

I'd find a metal recycler, most are paying for scrap steel these days. I invert the struts, carefully drill a 1/4" hole in the bottom of the strut body, pump the oil into an oil recycling jug, then recycle the strut as normal scrap steel.

I visit the local metal recycler about twice annually, usually have enough scrap steel, Copper and Aluminum to pay for the trip gas and buy a nice lunch for me and the wife, and I feel better that I'm not land-filling reclaimable metals and also not contributing to my trash guy's eventual hernia.

Take them to the scrapper with anything else with metal in it you have junk laying around.

Back