• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What might cause overheat?

kw8z3boi

Veteran CEG'er
So today I drove about 30 miles then when I dropped off a person (the temperature meter was in the middle) so about 5 minutes later after finishing loading stuff out of the car. Drove about 200ft to the street light, the car won't accelerate over 25 MPH, so I realized that it was overheated (Meter at the red zone). Is wierd that I let the car cool off about 10 minutes and start it again, the meter was in the middle and about 3 minutes later is red again and is hard to accelerate even if i tried flooring it for a second it goes it slowly. Any idea what might cause this?

head gasket is fine and fluid is full

this goes in the maintainance section, but i would say you water pump is toasted.

this goes in the maintainance section, but i would say you water pump is toasted.
Waterpump or if your lucky its just the serpentine belt is gone.

also note that if you dont have any coolant then the gauge wont even register.

he said that fluid was still there too. Wouldnt the car eventually completely die if the serph belt broke? cuz then the car would run off the battery till its dead.

You might want to check on that head gasket again. The WP's on these cars aren't known to fail...Although it is still possible. No coolant in your oil? It sounds like you don't have enough compression if you ask me :shrug:

A thermostat stuck on closed will also cause the engine to overheat. Not sure if it is the same with Zetec, but with the Duratec, you can determine if it is the WP or thermostat by the amount of heat coming out of heater vent. Lots of heat, stuck thermostat. Little heat, broken water pump.

How many miles on your car?

I was replacing/flushing the coolant in the system one day. I top it off and proceed to get the air bubbles out. Well, long story short, I missed a meet because my WP shattered the night before with ~93k miles on it.:blackeye:

It happens, so dont rule it out. Check out everything else out though before buying a new WP.

How many miles on your car?

I was replacing/flushing the coolant in the system one day. I top it off and proceed to get the air bubbles out. Well, long story short, I missed a meet because my WP shattered the night before with ~93k miles on it.:blackeye:

It happens, so dont rule it out. Check out everything else out though before buying a new WP.

about 123xxx

Back