• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Well I Dynoed it....

It wasnt used when mark put it in the car like 50 years ago, and It hasnt been on any other cars... But yes it is used at this point :p

hey man, just curios...i know vortec discontinued the contour stuff....so this was one of the original blowers that was on his original tour??

i'd like to have one of those vortech's, anybody seen anything like it for sale?

Tricker, they are rare now. It is also rare to have one that is problem free. :nonono:

Take my earlier advice about turbos and pick up one of those turbos that are available. As nice as supercharger is, 3L and all, there is NO F'in comparison to even a 2.5L turbocharged 'tour. Relatively flat torque curve means power is available almost instantly from 2500rpm on for the T28 and 3000 on for 3L with T3/4 setups. That means having a foot stomp with 250-300 ft-lbs of torque available almost immediately from that rpm up to at least 6000rpm.
You won't make that much torque with the vortech or another centrifugal blower almost till it's time to shift.

The blower has the advantage of improved low-end traction with a nice linear increase in power up till the rev limit that makes it easier to drive and race. The turbo with a bigger stickier set of tires will absolutely kill it however. If you are serious about power and racing of any kind then the extra grand for the turbo won't be missed at all.

Just my opinion on it.

yeah i hear you. i had to jump on the supercharger setup though. it came back today. if it proves to be reliable, i want to get some numbers on it, and soon enough sell it to build a turbo setup. that would be the ultimate plan, but i have no idea where to start on the piping setup. i have thought it through too many times and the only way to do it is the way you did. if i had help building the manifold setup i would surely go for it....

Tricker, they are rare now. It is also rare to have one that is problem free. :nonono:

Take my earlier advice about turbos and pick up one of those turbos that are available. As nice as supercharger is, 3L and all, there is NO F'in comparison to even a 2.5L turbocharged 'tour. Relatively flat torque curve means power is available almost instantly from 2500rpm on for the T28 and 3000 on for 3L with T3/4 setups. That means having a foot stomp with 250-300 ft-lbs of torque available almost immediately from that rpm up to at least 6000rpm.
You won't make that much torque with the vortech or another centrifugal blower almost till it's time to shift.

The blower has the advantage of improved low-end traction with a nice linear increase in power up till the rev limit that makes it easier to drive and race. The turbo with a bigger stickier set of tires will absolutely kill it however. If you are serious about power and racing of any kind then the extra grand for the turbo won't be missed at all.

Just my opinion on it.

I agree with some of this, but disagree as well. In terms of track use, specifically on a road course or Auto-X I would take the supercharger over the turbo. The linear power increase makes traction out of the corners much more plentiful and you're going to make better use of the rest of the car and overall turn quicker laps with less overall driver input.

The downside of the SC's as stated above is that they're rare and the overall setup was hampered with a notable design flaw. That being the splined jackshaft... aside from Chris Wong I think every single Vortech owner has replaced a blower & drive atleast once. Granted knowing what we know now its fairly straight forward to modify them so they won't fail in the future. IIRC, Vortech will still sell you a CDW kit, but it won't come with anything for tuning (chip, FMU, etc.) and if you are patient chances are likely that a used one will turn up sooner or later. If you want power now, then start looking into a custom turbo setup and go that route. Eitherway as long as the car is properly built & tuned you won't be disappointed.
-mark

i bought chris (blackcoog) 's redone, and then redone, and redone again, thomas knight supercharger setup. i'm workin on that still. now we just have to get through these bearing load issues and it'll be reliable as all hell. i would jump on a jackshafted vortech assuming i could make it work well, because of the placement.

Vortech no longer carries the CDW kit. I called and spoke to multiple people. The only parts they have relating to the kit are one or two of the brackets, which he said were retaling at ilke 500 something,

Looks like a nice dyno plot & room for some better numbers. Good luck with it. I noticed a little blip just before 4k rpm, is that where the pcm is adjusting the timing for our secondaries (which are absent on your car, I presume)?

I'm pretty sure the blip is actually where the tuner started increasing fuel through the remainder of the curve. The reason why its like that that when the car was originally tune the secondary fuel pump was in-op and the car would start to go lean in that range, so he compensated by adding fuel in the tune. Now the secondary pump is fixed and is providing plenty of fuel, but the car was never retuned to fix it going rich in that range. As things are starting to look up I hope alot of the cars problems will be fixed within the next couple of months. :)

-Mark

Back