• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Washed the car yesterday but...

completely threadjacking, but does anyone know a good way to get tar off your paint? i went through some road work and i can't get it off at all, it's like it soaked into the clearcoat almost....

Claybar if you plan to spend an afternoon also waxing and detailing.

Quicker way to go is getting a Bug and Tar remover from autozone, Turtlewax makes some for like $5 a can; used it when I did my ding strips, took the glue right off, removes tar and smashed bugs like a dream too :drool:

I dont like the idea of removing the air filter because its higher potential for water to get into the inside of the piping and pool up, so the next time you start you car, you get a big gob of water in the air intake, but removing the battery would be smarter, I agree with that.

Well, a rubber band and plastic wrap of some sort is your friend. Or just a latex glove. You've gotta be pretty darn stupid to leave the pipe open while you spray the engine bay down at all.

But my take on it is, if you disconnect the battery and leave the timing cover on (more relevant for Zetec folk), then I don't see anything wrong with even spraying the engine bay down with a hose to get a good rinse (after a good cleaning with Simple Green of course). Then if you leave it to sit for a reasonable amount of time (i.e., overnight) before reinstalling the battery, I HIGHLY doubt anything will ever go wrong electrically/mechanically. :shrug:

Back