• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

VSS Question

rexxdoggy

Hard-core CEG'er
I had replaced mine with, from what svttour said, was an older style VSS, which needed to be capped off. I didn't want to close it off with some kind of, whatever, don't even know how to describe it. So what I did was, I took my old one, snipped off the wires, which was bad anyways, and used it to screw onto the new one. I did have to chop off the little thingy in the middle for it to screw on. ANYWAYS, I think that may what have done it.

ONTO THE PROBLEM. Speedo isn't smooth as it should be. Anywhere from 0-60 or 65, it smooth-ISH. Then after that and above that speed, the speedo bounces all over the place. It doesn't want to read completely accurate. It bounces around from like 5-8 MPH of what the actual speed is. Is this due to the fact that I have it capped off with the older one and didn't snip off that prong thingy enough?

Sounds like your speedo gear is causing some issues. I'm guessing at higher speeds it is not engaging properly. Do you have pics of what you did to the sensor?

That might make sense. And by speedo gear, you mean the green little thing that goes into the metal bracket that holds the VSS? Sorry for my crappy terminology. No pictures, though.

That might make sense. And by speedo gear, you mean the green little thing that goes into the metal bracket that holds the VSS? Sorry for my crappy terminology. No pictures, though.

Well there is that gear, but there is also the gear that goes on the differential itself. Either one of those could cause the problem.

Back