• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Vortech

I'm pretty sure Vortech never outsourced anything. Thomas Knight built his own kit which had major bearing issues.

IIRC Thomas knight had his hands on the jack shaft vortech design.... I remember reading that years ago.:shrug: Maybe my memory is failing me.:blackeye:

i brought the supercharger to a local machinist a while back and we pressed off the bearings. there are only two bearings in the setup, and they are very close together. so in theory, the side pressure is way more than it needs to be. the machinist suggested i buy 100,000 rpm ceramic sealed bearings and press as many as i can fit in there (approx 6) which will reduce the side pressure, through more surface area for the shaft to ride across. however the bearings were 47 bucks apiece and i just can't justify putting a couple hundred bucks into another failed attempt with the t-knight supercharger. i had it working for a week the second time i had new bearings installed. it was boosting 5 lbs through the supercharger (hardly noticible power gain). so i put the supplied 2 1/4" piping in without the intercooler and it boosted 8lbs and was much more noticible. all of this was done without a tune and used a SAFC for fuel advances which is unacceptable. i can see this kit working but i don't have the patience for it anymore. i basically tried to give it away for a couple hundred bucks for someone that wants to make it work but nobody would grab on it. so its a paper weight :)

That sucks!! :blackeye: No wonder your so pissed off all the time on here :laugh:

The spline design works, too. It just doesn't work correctly "out of the box." Take a good look at a completely original spline Vortech setup and you'll see why the splines fail.
:help:

The spline design works great out the box. It's long term use that wears out the splins and they strip.:blackeye:

That's my point. It does not work correctly. The splines strip out. However, it can be fixed so they don't.

It does work correctly...works great. But just breaks after long term use.

Kinda like contours :laugh:

For pictures of my Vortech kit click on my sig and look at our site. We have pictures of it on my Cougar and on my old Contour.
Do you use an S-trim head unit?
They will be phased out for the updated Si units and you can also get them self-contained to prevent having to tap the pan.
You may already know this, just an FYI.
-J

Do you use an S-trim head unit?
They will be phased out for the updated Si units and you can also get them self-contained to prevent having to tap the pan.
You may already know this, just an FYI.
-J

We do not use a self contained unit because they didn't offer them at the time. A lot of manufacturers are starting to offer them though. They would be great at reducing installation time (one less hole to cut in the car and pan), and no leaks due to oil hose plumbing. Ours is a super quiet (SQ) counter clockwise (CCW) F-trim Vortech supercharger. The original jackshaft vortech kit used a clockwise F-trim.

For the original question about updated jackshaft fix....i no longer use any close to what Vortech said would work. Mine is a HIGH RPM U-Joint and it also withstands HIGH TEMPs. I can dig up my reciept and get whomever needs one the part number but ive gotten about 800+miles on my setup so far and works great.

For the original question about updated jackshaft fix....i no longer use any close to what Vortech said would work. Mine is a HIGH RPM U-Joint and it also withstands HIGH TEMPs. I can dig up my reciept and get whomever needs one the part number but ive gotten about 800+miles on my setup so far and works great.

I'd like to see pictures if you got em!

i never took pictures of the actual connector:shrug:
when i break it down next summer for some tinkering ill take pics of the build

I got the unit back after 5 weeks but its right and I mean really right. They basically sent me a new piece. The drive and the back of the compressor are new, they only reused the volute and the blades. The rest is 100 pecent new. Its been in for a week and makes almost zero noise. It needed a small notch put in the braket near the water pump to make it fit right. It wasnt cheap but at this point it was worth it. Tey charged me 2K for the upgrade but 3700 for a new kit is a big difference.

good to know someone else is going through the same thing as me. i had the spline drive and it worked for a while. i had a small pulley to up the boost to 13 psi and the splines shredded off pretyt quick. i have been trying to figure something out to avoid the 2000 dollar upgrade eventhough it sounds like its going to work. i cant believe the local shops wont touch it. so whats the verdict. worth the upgrade?

Definately do it. Dont waste your time with any machine shops. Theres no way they can make something like the new pin drive first try without a lot of failures.

Back