• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

update on my tour.

you will have to take the intake and valve covers off.
you cant get the cam gears off otherwise

hmmm, looks like I should be changing the front cover gasket then as I will be changing the valve covers ....

Yes, you have to take off the upper intake, valve covers, front motor mount,belt, ps pulley, crank shaft pulley, unbolt the alt and move it to the side same with a/c comp. unbolt and move the ps pump, remove the idler pully and tensioner, move assorted wires and other minor stuff to get the front cover off, release the chain tension, pull the chains, guides, and tensioners, reset the timing marks on the crank and cam sprockets. reinstall. be very carefull with all small parts since the very front of the oil pan is open, if you drop something in there you will have to pull the oil pan. must use new crank seal which fits into the front cover, also you must use rtv at certian points on the cover or it will leak (ford as a digram for this) along with a new front cover gasket, new valve cover gasket plus new o-rings for the spark plug tubes, etc, etc.

That's the basic run down, again easier explained than done. After looking at it when it was apart and noting some of the things I observed I would not do this on my own, just imagine having the timing marks off and having to rip apart again to reset the marks( plus making sure your on the intake side not exhaust). The front cover can me tricky to reseal, again if you donot use rtv in the right spots it will leak. It's not impossible t o do yourself but it looks like a pain in the ass.

I also just wanted to get it done right and if it leaked or had problems afterwards the dealership would own it and they would have to correct it not me, but sofar so good.

Thanks for the help. My engine sounds worse everyday. I'm thinking that I let the timing chain problem go too long. Now I have a loud thumping on top of the engine. Its like a knock but it goes away when you give it gas. It sounds really bad when Idling though.

Back