• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

update on me....

skunk

Veteran CEG'er
Hi everyone. I just wanted to give an update, it has been awhile since I posted and alot has been going on. I had a cat scan that revieled small hairline fractures of C 5&6 and L 1-3 in my back. I then went for an MRI for a more indepth look. These fractures do not require surgery and will heal by themselves. I do suffer from stiffness in my back and neck and depending on the day I get swelling of the ID basically the connective disc between the vertibra. This will aritate the nerves and give me some pain and headaches. I will get stiff if a sit or lay for a long period of time, when I get up it takes a few seconds for me to able to get totally upright.

I have been going to pt once a week to help me work through this and keep my back in shape. In about 4 months I will be going through a exam to see if I'm fit for full duty. My doctor is happy with my progress but feels I will suffer some permante damage and will have some sort of nagging back pain and neck pain for life. He is very supportive of me and my condition but doesn't want me over doing it just to get back to work, which could be a year from now. He was honest and said that there is a really high chance that I will not be fit for firefighter duty and would have to go on a disability retirement.

I am able to do stuff around the house and yard. I can drive, go for walks, swim etc. I just can't do heavy lifting or play tackle football( hahaha). I'm really enjoying the time off, although I do get bored, I do some house work, laundry and stuuf like that. My wife loves that!! But really guys don't worry , I'm doing fine.

I will try to make the fall meet, It would be nice to see everyone. Well that's all for now. I'll keep updated has stuff goes on.

Definitely good to hear you're doing better. I'm really sorry that your chances are slim on becoming a firefighter again, but I believe that everything that happens has good reason - I hope that in the future whatever happens will later be looked upon as as a wonderful thing. Glad that you're keeping active and not just sitting and surfing the Internet all day long! :)

To answer Brian's question, I just started pt a few weeks ago. thankfully my small fractures did not require fusion surgery which was a real concern. These where very small and hard to see fractures but didn't allow the disc's to shift or move. The resent x ray shows good healing which was about six weeks into the injury. The Dr. then let me off limited activity and they should be totally healed in about 4-6 months. The real concern is the constant stiffness and up and down swelling of the connective disc's. Time will tell on that issue and pt is helping. Some days my neck gets very stiff and I use an ice pack to help the pain and medicine. my lower back gets stiff after prolonged sitting or laying, also I have a hard time bending or twisting.

It's just something I have to deal with, it doesn't get me down, some people are worse off than me. If I cannot return to my job I will deal with it. no one can erase what I was able to do and the things a I saw good and bad. I did what I set out to do even if it may end sooner than expected.

wow that is a great attitude towards this, imagine what thte world would be like if more people felt this way

again best of luck to ya

My father had some of his vertebra fused in his neck.
He recovered really well after many nights sleeping on the couch (to force him to sleep straight and solely on his back).
They did the surgery from the front, and only left a 2 inch scar.
Modern medicine is amazing.

I admire your attitude and approach to all of this, Chris.

I'm glad to hear that you are making progress. I am sorry to hear that you may not be able to return to your job. :(

You do have a great attitude! You have to or it will really bring you down.

I've had four shoulder surgeries, have chronic shoulder pain, muscle spasms and migraines from my injury. Having a positive attitude makes all the difference in your recovery and daily life. Most people have no idea that I'm that screwed up when they meet me. :laugh: :dizzy: I've learned to hide it well. ;)

Wishing you continued success in your recovery.

I figured that you'd catch that line. :laugh:

Back