• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Turbo sizing

SJon85

Veteran CEG'er
First off I am not very familiar with forced induction and this will be the first car I have worked on with a turbo so please excuse my newbness. I have the NPG kit but still need a turbo for it. I have been reading around and looking at turbos for sale but all the specs are just confusing the crap out of me. So my question is what size turbo/specs would be ideal for the NPG kit on a 3L? So far I have come up with a Garrett T3/T4 60 trim. Just looking for what everyone else is running and/or suggestions.

Yup, what bhiggs said. For the turbine housing, you can go with either a .63 AR or .82 AR I think. THe .63 will spool a little quicker and at lower rpm, but will start to choke things off a little at high rpm. The .82 will be a little smoother on power delivery because it will be a little softer on the turbo spool-up. Either one would work well, it just depends on what you want.

So since these cars have traction problems it would be better to have boost higher in the rpm range with the .82 AR maybe. So a 60 trim with .82 AR is what im looking for.

thats actually what i came up with as well when i bought my turbo. I have a garret 60 trim with 63.ar exhaust housing. Tried to find one with a .82ar but got this one for a better deal. Just so much work left to finish my project. Wish someone had some cheap hot pipes and i would mostly be ready to go. </sob story>

Haha I like how we are opposite. I have everything but the turbo, oil lines, boost air/fuel oil psi gauges, MAF, injectors, fuel pump, and I would like a turbo blanket. I did just find a garrett 60 trim .63 AR locally used for 5k miles for only $350 which is a pretty good deal, but I feel like I should just buy one new with a warranty and exactly what I want. But I need to make some more cash.... sob story..... maybe tax returns will help

Back