• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Turbo question

GeorgeSVT

CEG'er
Ok, so I have a 1998 ford contour SVT with a 3.0 duratec swap out of a 2003 for Taurus. I am planning on buying the Npg racing turbo kit sometime in my life, lol. And I was wondering if theres a safe way to run the turbo on the 3.0. Only thing done to the engine is an exhaust port and polish w/ k&n air intake and msds headers and y pipe and glaspack(which I don't know if should keep or get a real muffler. It came with the car). Is there anything that I need to safely run the kit on my engine or any suggestions or recommendations. I'm new to turbos. Do I need intercooled? Give me the run down.

Call NPG and talk to Joey...the man is FULL of knowledge of these cars and making the duratec rip like no other! Good dude to work with and talk to....willing to help anybody. I have alot of NPG stuff on my car....just not the turbo setup....YET. lol

Intercooler: Depends on how much boost you plan on running, anything more than 5psi I would recommend a intercooler.

Injectors: With the 3L I would recommend getting either some 39lb/hr (Cobra) or 42lb/hr (Lightning) injectors to ensure your getting enough fuel

Fuel Pump: Since you have a return style pump I would look at either the Walbro or Aeromotive Stealth pumps. Most people on here run the Walbro and haven't had any problems.

Transmission: Your going to need to get an aftermarket diff (Torsen or Quaife) at the bare minimum. Anything else is up to you. A FD swap is very beneficial in the turbo cars, 3.8 or 3.5 depending on the trans type.

Brakes: The stock brakes work just fine on a stock or even mildly modified car, but trust me (I'm still on stock brakes), your going to want to upgrade. My dad's got the FSVT NPG kit and it works very well.

Thats about it. The stock engine will be fine on anything up to 10 psi

It cools the air coming into the motor. When you compress air (turbo) it heats it up, the intercooler helps cool it down. Too much hot air isn't good for a motor

Aah, like a radiator for air. I see. So im trying to find a good deal on 42 lb lightning injectors and a 90 or 80mm maf. Is There a certain year I should be looking at or around and anyone know a good place to get them?

You can pick up a full set of 8 42# injectors new for $308 off ebay. You can also find a new 90mm MAF for around $96 that comes with a matched billet aluminum adapter (which you will need) on eBay as well.

I might still have my 90mm MAF and adapter from my old turbo Zetec. If you are interested in it let me know via PM.

suggest picking up and reading "Maximum Boost" some of the stuff is dated but its a good read ....

I 2nd this suggestion. It doesnt apply directly to the contour, but the concepts it covers will give you a much better understanding of how it all works together as a system.

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. I'll look more into it. In the process of putting my 3.0 in right now. Just did a rebuild and replaced all the gaskets. Ya I don't really have the 300 for new injectors so what your opinion on buying used?

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. I'll look more into it. In the process of putting my 3.0 in right now. Just did a rebuild and replaced all the gaskets. Ya I don't really have the 300 for new injectors so what your opinion on buying used?

You shouldnt have too much trouble finding low mileage used injectors at svtperformance.com. Might have to surf their classifieds section for a bit, but many of those guys upgrade and outgrow their injectors, perfect for us to pick up.

If you can't pony up $300 for injectors, how can you even afford to buy the turbo kit?

You really need to have serious cash reserves when entering into high power upgrade projects such as turbocharging. As others have pointed out, you are going to have to pour money into the transaxle, the drive shafts then become the weak point and are prone to breaking (stronger axles cost much more money), the roll resistors will need reinforcing, the car should be dynotuned (that's several hundred dollars), there are all the support gauges you will need in the interior to monitor the engine, etc. Even once you think you have everything mapped-out, there will be plenty of nuisances that will jump out and take more money from your wallet before the project is complete.

Contours, Mystiques and Cougars are not very robust cars. Cutting corners to save money because you don't have the finances up front to do it right can come back to haunt you in a big way on these cars. I'm not saying "Buying only new" is the way to do it right. It's just that your statement feels to me like you are trying to take on something you can't really afford.

^^ Easy chief....some of us dont make thousands a week like you must. I have a 10 second Mustang and it wasnt built overnight. So I understand what he is saying here...it takes time...but little by little....paycheck by paycheck....he will get there. All the upgrades you have mentioned, my CSVT is getting before I install a turbo setup. No need to doubt people...where there is a WILL there is a WAY!!

Ok so sorry to have disappointed you mrspindlelegs. But I don't have 300 right now as if u would have paid attention to what I just said I just rebuilt my engine and in the process of putting it in my car. So I don't have the extra cash right now. I'm just trying to do what I can. Im trying to get the facts of everything I need to know before I go and buy a turbo kit so I know I need and what to look for.

ok guys. there are two sides to this and both have now been illustrated. Just take the friendly reminder that it will cost you alot more then you think in the end. I know it did for me after all the little things where added up.

I also see why the other point was brought up. Your asking some basic questions and then are talking about doing work cheaper. Which with a good plan is just fine. Always best to make sure the plan is thought out and everything is done correctly the first time.

The key will be good planning. Also I like this quote "If you don't have time to do it right the first time when will you have the time to do it over?"

again just take everything as food for thought and make sure you have a plan and are ready for the unexpected. One other good quote, take your budget and double it.

Also I do not recommend adding a turbo to a DD, to many issues might crop up. Maybe after time and proven reliability it could be DD.

Last edited:
Back