• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Turbo Kit

2kSVT

CEG'er
Hey guys,
I just bought a NPG stage 1 kit from Pudmunkie. I'm hoping to have all the necessary parts/tune etc. in a few weeks or so. I'm pretty intimidated by the 6 boxes of parts. If any of the local EGL FI guys would like some beer/pizza and some cash, let me know. I do almost all of my own maintenance and have tackled alot of new things with my car. I'm really new to FI, and I know that doing it wrong and the motor is toast. It will be going on my 2.5 and has the 7.5# spring..for now! Any takers??

Rod

You could dump it into one box to make you feel better. :D I think the most important thing is the oil feed line and it's positioning. Rest shouldn't be too bad.

I think the most important thing is the oil feed line and it's positioning. Rest shouldn't be too bad.

The important / difficult part it routing the oil drain so that it free flows all the way down to the pan. Not so much the feed, that part is easy.

Rod, you have my number. Give me a call when you have everything ready to go.

Yes, Rawburt your number is Sharpie'd on the workbench!! It would be killer if you could come down for the oil lines and stuff. I saved alot of the pics you posted. Unfortunately after searching your old posts, the corresponding pics of your install have timed out and are gone. I posted about powder coating on the FI post I started. Would you guys get everything powdercoated or just leave it all painted and buy MSDS headers with that money??

Rod

Yes, Rawburt your number is Sharpie'd on the workbench!!

lol :laugh:

It would be killer if you could come down for the oil lines and stuff. I saved alot of the pics you posted. Unfortunately after searching your old posts, the corresponding pics of your install have timed out and are gone.

I will send you a new link to my install pics.

I posted about powder coating on the FI post I started. Would you guys get everything powdercoated or just leave it all painted and buy MSDS headers with that money??

Rod

I would highly recommend headers, but at the same time I would highly recommend getting the pipes coated. I ran mine with just the paint that came on them and it didnt hold. Especially considering you live in ohio, i'd say its something you will definetely want to do. Dont rush the project, if you have to put it off for a for more weeks so everything is done right, it'll be worth it in the end, trust me.

I posted about powder coating on the FI post I started. Would you guys get everything powdercoated or just leave it all painted and buy MSDS headers with that money??

Rod

I thought about powder coating but never got to it, maybe over the winter. what I did was use some rust to primer converter, then followed up with high temp primer and paint. follow that with header wrap. Seems to be working pretty well. I have been caught in the rain a few times and no adverse effects. I had to redo some of the header wrap and the paint under it was fine. although powder coating should hold up better in the long run.

I would recommend headers also if you can.

Heres a few helpful pics;
(Where to drill the hole)
DCFC0533.jpg

(Wastegate/ BOV routing)
DCFC0545.jpg

(Oil feed - Rear head/ rear plug)
DCFC0547.jpg

edit: heres my, install pics... some should help http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/RawBurt/Contour SVT/Turbo/

Thanks for the pictures. So the feed is from the rear head/plug and the drain goes to the pan or drill just above the pan?? Those help alot. I love the video with the giggle!

Rod

Thanks for the pictures. So the feed is from the rear head/plug

The only reason I didnt use the front plug on the rear head is because I had the sending unit for my oil pressure gauge ran there, you can see it in the pic. So using the front plug is fine.

and the drain goes to the pan or drill just above the pan??

If you are able to drill the block, then by all means do it there (that would be considered the correct spot). Its alot easier to drill and tap the pan and it works perfect.

too bad i can't drive for 6 months, i'm about a half hour away when i head down to school :cry:

The only reason I didnt use the front plug on the rear head is because I had the sending unit for my oil pressure gauge ran there, you can see it in the pic. So using the front plug is fine.

If you are able to drill the block, then by all means do it there (that would be considered the correct spot). Its alot easier to drill and tap the pan and it works perfect.

The block is where I tapped for the turbo (on my 3 liter) when I was still planning to go turbo. I dont believe its feasible to tap the block w/ it installed though.

Berkel, where do you go to school?? So guys, it's almost impossible to tap the block with the motor in the car? How thick is the pan, and does it hold up? Do you need to put some type of threaded sleeve in the pan or just tap it and screw the hose end in there?

Rod

How thick is the pan, and does it hold up? Do you need to put some type of threaded sleeve in the pan or just tap it and screw the hose end in there?

Yes it holds up just fine. All you have to do is drill, tap, and thread in the fitting. Make sure to use teflon for the threads. FWIW, Once I had the fitting where I wanted it, I applied JB weld around the fitting and pan (on the outside) just for some added security. Thats permanent once you do it though.

Gotcha. I just received a PM from Harry saying that I may want to buy his 65mm throttle body. Any need for this, is it worth the $110.00. Would there be significant gains in HP? Thanks for all your help guys.

Rod

Bigger TB should help a bit, but in my experience it has less gains than on a NA application. Sounds like your money is tight and other things would be better IMO than the TB.
-J

Bimini thanks for the info. I'm not on a no limit budget, but I'm trying to get it done right without wasting money on non-essential stuff.

Rod

Bimini thanks for the info. I'm not on a no limit budget, but I'm trying to get it done right without wasting money on non-essential stuff.

Rod

Personally it has been repeated on more than several occasions but i will help explain.

The 3 Liter which takes in 30% more air then the 2.5L is restricting itself with the stock svt tb at 6500-7k rpms. . Adding a larger inlet will help volume more than pressure which is still not a problem for a FI application (like this situation). So adding a larger Throttle body and even Mass air meter (which most do) go to a 80mm or 90mm would really complement the engines ability to absorb air at a much larger rate.
Remember our cars roughly take in 12psi of air from atmospheric pressure. That is why most articles show a 50% gain in power from just a 6psi kit. Seeing he is going to be pushing a 6-7psi turbo kit more flow would be needed to help maximize the engines potential.

Back