• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

TSS From Hell!!!

RialKnight

CEG'er
Last week I pulled this code from my car's PCM----P0715 Turbine Shaft Speed Sensor circuit fault.

After replacing the TSS, I thought everything was ok, nope.....after 3 days the error code came back...so, thinking the one I got was bad...I replaced it........did it fix matters.....nope, not at all........I still have the same code--P0715 Turbine Shaft Speed Sensor circuit fault......& yes I've reset the PCM

what's the lowndown of this part?

Last edited:
I had a mystique do this to me, the cause was that the new style sensor has a weaker magnet on it and creates a not so great signal, if you can get a hold of the old part that would be the way to go, the new one is white plastic and the magnet is completely covered, the old one is black and has a metal piece sticking out of the end. There is another possibilty though and that is the thrust washers and bearings inside the tranny are worn out and the drum that the sensor reads off of is moving too far away from the sensor. hope this helps. If you have a digital ocsilliscope backprobe the ecu connector and look at the signal coming from the sensor, it should have nice amplitude and nice sharp on/off changes.

I had P0715 for past two weeks, lost 4th then third then second gear. But on cold restart I would have all gears back again.

Bench measured my second TSS I bought, figuring the sensor was it, sensor reads ~700-800 ohms on newer style. Then I decided to measured at ~104 pin computer connector between pins 76 + 84 and was getting different readings (connector removed from computer). I moved the wires starting at sensor going back to computer, noticed the resistance was changing. I decided to strip the cable harness and look at problem area. Found the wire insulation cracking everywhere, see photo link below. The wires actually came apart on me, <I'm PO'd>! That may be your problem.

Now I'm going to rig a shielded two conductor from the sensor back to computer harness. Note, I've got to connect ground shield back at cpu end. Do not connect other end of ground near sensor to anything. Shield reduces noise on signal wires. Not connecting one end will prevent ground feedback noise on the signal. This will resemble original factory grounding.
EDIT: The rig worked!!!!

Anyone know the TSB and ability to receive a new harness for free if I show the chafed wires I have?

1997 2.5L GL Contour

Attachments

• CIMG2231 (Small).JPG
    CIMG2231 (Small).JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Given my past dealing with ford service shops, it's very unlikly...even more-so if you show-up with a TSB in hand. ( that really pisses them off )

F!!!! I'm really PO'd now! 3/10 was my 10yr to get the wire harness replaced (99m03). 2 days ago I could have gotten it done!!! Now I have to live with the crappy harness. I wish I would have found the wire issue last week. You guys better check your warranty start date ASAP since this issue is covered for 10yr/100K mi.

TSS sensor wire location ?

TSS sensor wire location ?

I had P0715 for past two weeks, lost 4th then third then second gear. But on cold restart I would have all gears back again.

Bench measured my second TSS I bought, figuring the sensor was it, sensor reads ~700-800 ohms on newer style. Then I decided to measured at ~104 pin computer connector between pins 76 + 84 and was getting different readings (connector removed from computer). I moved the wires starting at sensor going back to computer, noticed the resistance was changing. I decided to strip the cable harness and look at problem area. Found the wire insulation cracking everywhere, see photo link below. The wires actually came apart on me, <I'm PO'd>! That may be your problem.

Now I'm going to rig a shielded two conductor from the sensor back to computer harness. Note, I've got to connect ground shield back at cpu end. Do not connect other end of ground near sensor to anything. Shield reduces noise on signal wires. Not connecting one end will prevent ground feedback noise on the signal. This will resemble original factory grounding.
EDIT: The rig worked!!!!

Anyone know the TSB and ability to receive a new harness for free if I show the chafed wires I have?

1997 2.5L GL Contour

Hello, Where exactly did you find the bad cables on the wire harness...? I am have similar problems. I can drive my car for about 60km, then the O/D light on my dash starts flashing. I have to stop the car, cold restart a few times to fix it - until the next 60 kms....crazy.

When I start from dead stop, very hard shift into first and second gear. Is this a TSS problem too ?

AHEM you guys know I sell harness conversion that eliminate the crack/peel/flake issue on the contour right.... I mainly do it for 98 2.5L 5 speed but I have had requests in the part for other years...

Back