• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

tried searching but still have four questions

montrese04

Veteran CEG'er
i have a e0 with the (short, thick pad) ok that's great

I went to the JY and found a svt and got the front brake calipers off of it. In hopes to replace the smaller brakes and rotors in the back. (BUT) i think i picked up the style that has the (long, slim style) if that so

1st question: How do i even go about replacing my back caliper with the bigger front caliper? is it as simple as disconnecting the hose from the old and connecting to the new)

2nd question: which might be the better setup for the front . tho i did read that their was no significant difference. figure i might put the slim, long ones on the front for styling purposes.

3rd question: how do i get the caliper piston off now that it's already off the car and i dont have the good ole pressure of the braking system to help? think i'm suppose to use a air compressor but not 100 sure

4th question: any idea of what the bias will be like/ who has done this already and whats their opinion.

why would you want to put a front caliper on the back of the car and not have an e-brake :confused:

what are you trying to do? sounds like you are trying to do something along the lines of the NPG BBK ... but that just used the front rotors on the rear of the car ....

to my knowledge only one person will be using front calipers on the rear and that is because he is using front knuckles on the rear of the car for his awd setup.

yeah i'm trying something along the line of the NPG [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]upgrade rear to 278mm SVT rotor. forgot that NPG had it. thanks for reminding me. so there's nothing new under the contour.org sun. [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]:troutslap:

well anyone have an idea of what the bias might be like.
[/FONT]

to my knowledge only one person will be using front calipers on the rear and that is because he is using front knuckles on the rear of the car for his awd setup.
And that guy is using a hydraulic hand brake and a in car proportioning valve to keep the bias in check.

ok so i understand i cant change the caliper without heavy modding. but i can purchase the NPG rear upgrade. Now tho it says on the site it is advised NOT to use without bigger front rotors. is it possible just to get some way better front brake pads, then the ones on the back? say mintex 1144 or mintex a/f on the front and some duralast gold on the back :shrug:

Why not just throw better pads on the rear right now and then worry about the fronts later?
meh...its an option. got excited about my original idea:blackeye:. Guess i just want bigger rotors on the back. Becasue in my mind it visually looks better for all the rotors to be the same size. :shrug:

Really? No car comes with equal sized rotors plus when you do the fronts again they'll be bigger again.

the whole idea of the NPG brake kit, front and rear, is to keep a stock like brake feel while providing increased brakign power.

fyi I know of a cougar that is running 278mm front and rear, haven't heard any comments about the braking not being good, etc ... but then again it was also a rear drum to disk swap at the same time.

I would never upgrade the rears unless my front were already done. Having that much more bite back there will throw you into a spin with NO provocation, just when you DON'T need to do that.

There's a reason the rear brakes are smaller and less powerful than the fronts. Keep it like that. BALANCE is of ultimate importance, and this IS your ass on the line, all over cosmetics, it seems...

i mounted the front svt brakes on the rear, i will post up pics later. a few mods are needed to be done but not much to make it fit. would not recommend it unless you have a proportioning valve or some way to reduce the pressure to the rear brakes. like i said i will post up some pics later.

just when you DON'T need to do that.

As opposed to the time you actually wanna spin the car? :)

i mounted the front svt brakes on the rear, i will post up pics later. a few mods are needed to be done but not much to make it fit. would not recommend it unless you have a proportioning valve or some way to reduce the pressure to the rear brakes. like i said i will post up some pics later.

Sweet. I wanna see how you did your emergency brake.

As opposed to the time you actually wanna spin the car? :)

Sweet. I wanna see how you did your emergency brake.

e-brake not necessary, weight reduction..... only time i missed it is when warming the car up.

Thats what I was hoping you were gonna say. I'll just assume it isnt a daily driver and doesnt need a yearly inspection.

ok so if you have no ebrake that means you cant park it on a hill correct? cuz this is my DD i surely would need to park it

You can have a hydraulic hand brake with an inline lock. I forgot what the price is called, but the dune buggy kids use them a lot. That way you would have your hand brake for parking.

On of the mx6 guys had two ebrake handles so he could yank the rear end in either direction. It was very over the top.

On of the mx6 guys had two ebrake handles so he could yank the rear end in either direction. It was very over the top.

if i'm not mistaken isnt a mx6 FWD. now i know you can slide in anything but whats the exact purpose of having that? was the person a profesional drifter or whats going on :confused:

Back