• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Trash, salvageable, or make a tire swing?

CSVT1214

Addicted CEG'er
So I got suckered on a set of tires from Craigslist. It would have been a killer deal if it wasn't for this one tire. I'm just wondering if it's definitely trash or can be repaired in any way? I have bulk trash pick up later this week and I'm not sure if this tire should be going in there.

The tires are Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 in 215/45/17 and all 4 have less than 1000 miles on them. They don't even look broken in yet. I found out the idiot damaged one when he used his friend's shop to remove the tires himself. He ended up cutting the hell out of the bead. I didn't catch it until I got home and took a closer look at them.

It's a discontinued tire and I'm finding it impossible to match up a single tire in this size/model.

The reason I'd hate to junk it:
IMG_1354Large.jpg

The damage:
IMG_0022Large.jpg

IMG_0025Large.jpg

Yeah man, that tire is not going to hold air :blackeye:. Get your money back.

^ hahaha :laugh:

I say your best bet is to get some more rubber, heat up that tire and extra rubber enough to mold and melt it to that damaged area..... Luckily most of it will be protected by the rim when the tire is mounted. Good luck getting it re-mounted without damaging the area you repair. :eek:

Thanks guys. It's going in the trash.

I can't get my money back now. I had been emailing him back and forth after I bought them and I told him a bunch of shops wouldn't touch it. He says has used tires like this himself and he would mount it for me if no shops would do it. I said I'll pass and left it at that. :laugh:

Even if it does hold air after mounting, I don't feel safe using it unless there was some sort of professional way to repair the damage.

Yeah, I figure if it was a small cut or tear, I would try out bead sealer but it's just too mangled up. I think he just kept applying pressure on the tire changer not knowing he was cutting right into the tire.

Back