• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Today Todd will finally have bumps in the trunk

You know todd you can never be too old to have a nice stereo. I'm glad you didn't go all ghetto with the audio. Nice simple setup just the way i have mine.

Well untill my amp blew now i need to get a new one :blackeye:

I just don't know if bridging this amp would be safe since it's not set up for it.

And me ghetto? haha Come on Harry.

I just don't know if bridging this amp would be safe since it's not set up for it.

And me ghetto? haha Come on Harry.

I know you wouldn't go that route.
Please don't bridge that 4 channel. Just search online for a decent 2 channel. I'm a big fan of rockfords amps for subs. :cool:

One of the best bang for the buck amps is Planet Audio. MSRP is greatly marked up from what the dealers actually pay for them (I know because I sell them), and the quality is VERY good for the money, usually 1/3 to 1/2 less than comparable amps (RF, Kicker, Pioneer, etc.) and the power is right up there. i.e. 900W RMS for $200-$300.

Also components are VERY VERY good for the money. They won't rival brands like Focal, MB Quart, CDT, etc. But they will compare to any $100-$300 set. The best part is that they only cost the dealer $40 for a 6.5" set, so you can normally get them for $50-60. Honestly, they sound great. If you want better, the next step would be to get some "HD" series from CDT audio. They WILL compete with Focal utopia's, mid level Rainbows ($600-$1500 :crazy:), and the others in that catergory. Best part, they only cost $450ish.

yah I wouldn't bridge it, buddy of mine did that and it ended up frying and damn near burned his car down because of how hot it got. check millionbuys.com or onlinecarstereo for some good deals.

btw what speakers are you running?

If the amp was designed to be bridge it would have it printed on the unit by where the terminals are labeled. There is no (well, no good way) to bridge the amp you have from 4 into 1 channel. Best bet IMO is to pick up a decent 2 channel bridgeable amp or a mono amp if you don't plan to run another sub at some point.

FWIW, i'm running an Alpine MRP-M350 that I scored on ebay for like $60 IIRC. It powers my rear deck sub which is, mind you very efficient but would have more than enough power to run a single sub. Plus, consider the fact that you ideally want an amp that you can adjust the crossover point (I'm assuming you don't plan to run an external equalizer or anything like that), running a crossover point much higher than 90-100hz typically ruins imaging. The human ears can typically tell where a sound is coming from at any frequency higher than something like 100hz IIRC, so a crossover for your subs at or below that point helps improve imaging and helps the sub "blend" in.

Bought a Sony Xplod 800w amp XM-D400P5. Matches T-red really well. :drool:It's 400 watts at 2 ohms. My single 10" is rated at 450 at 2 ohms. Now I think I need some Dynamat for the trunk. :crazy:
Sony_XM-D400P5.jpg

You know, there is a reason they put the Xplod name on those amps.... :nonono:

Make sure the dynamat you get has a little kevlar in it too... :laugh:

Todd you sound like me at times... it matches the car :laugh:

Sony_XM-D400P5.jpg

That was a major factory when I replaced my defective Ford HU, I wanted to make sure the backlite matched the rest of the dash lights.:cool:

Hey it's a $300 amp I got for $30 off craigs. Works for me.

For a little bit, anyway. :laugh: Just messin' with ya Todd. I have had terrible experiences with Sony amps, hence my complete and total hatred of them. But hopefully that one will work for you, my issues seemed to come when I bridged the two channels of a 4 channel amp. But for $30, it can't hurt to try it.

For $30 you can't really beat that price. I have had a sony 1100 :)rolleyes:) watt amp for a while now (4-5 years) and it has been good to me. Not the greatest thing in the world, but it isn't the worst thing out there.

Back