• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Timing belt woes....

To my understanding they installed a new belt and new idler pulleys, or atleast I hope they did. Whats TSB stand for?

My mom ended up paying for the whole timing belt repair, then she sold the car to me for $450. So all I have into this car right now is $450 for car, $225 for new OEM headlights, new plugs and wires, new fuel filter, and a couple oil changes. So I'm well under $1000 for a good condition daily driver.

Right now I'm shopping around for new suspension because my front springs are broken. I'm not sure if I want to get an aftermarket serup or just replace with stock parts for now....hmmm....decisions, decisions...

TSB is technical service bulletin. If a problem is found to be common in a vehicle, they'll find a way to fix it (unless it was made by GM then it can't be fixed) and issue a TSB so that any dealer that has the vehicle in can fix it right by using the TSB.

The problem they were having with the timing belt on the VCT equipped Zetec is that the belt would fail early. This is because the belt would bunch up between the cam gears and allow the belt to walk because of improper tension. They found that setting the gears neutral to a newly installed belt would prevent the belt from bunching up. The problem was that the teeth would not be in perfect sync.

Gotcha. I had seen the part about resetting the VCT cams to neutral, not sure if the shop did that or not. Haha...GM...

Back