• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

tie rod end test?

getsum111

Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late.
OK. here's the story, and searching hasn't given me a clear answer, so bear with me. Both outer tie rod ends are less than 1 year old. Both wheels are off the ground, and when I push/pull at 3 and 9 o'clock, the rims move, as does the steering wheel. The steering wheel seems to wiggle quite a bit. How much is too much for the steering wheel to move. Or should I just do the self load test that was mentioned on the old boards for checking the inner tie rod ends. The outers seem pretty tight still, so is there another way to check to see what my troubles are? Thanks for any advice.

You're doing the test wrong.

Lift only one front wheel off the ground, leave the other on the ground so that you have something to apply force against. The idea is to make certainthere's no play in the system.

Steve

Boy, do I feel foolish. Thanks Steve.

Don't feel bad at all. I had a Meineke shop try to tell me I had bad tie rods and ends on my 89 SHO because they were doing exactly as you described. They said that the play shouldn't be there and I needed to spend $700 to fix it...Thievein' basturds! The rack and tie rod ends were only a month old...

Steve

I dunno about you guys but my car absolutely eats tie-rods. I've basically come to the conclusion that all mine need to be replaced once a year... cars been an absolute lemon when it comes to that stuff.

Yeah, I know what you mean. My **** is sooo outa whack its scary to drive. My car wants to jump around on the roadd going down the highway. Every little bump it wants to pull and push. I'm replacing all my ball joints and tie rod ends as soon as I have the cash. They don't seem too bad now and I think the main problem is my alignment. My driver side front tire is wearing really fast and uneven. My front two tires had the same amount of tread (a little less then penny head test) and now the driver side is bald and the pass side looks about the same. That was about 1200 miles ago.

I dunno about you guys but my car absolutely eats tie-rods. I've basically come to the conclusion that all mine need to be replaced once a year... cars been an absolute lemon when it comes to that stuff.

Mine, too. I just chalked it up to aggressive driving, but maybe it's not. At least they are cheap and easy to change, but still a PITA.:shrug:

I dont think so, I dont autox, and more or less baby my car [and its been a stock suspension until recently]. I had the drivers side outer link replaced in may, and a month ago when swapping in new struts, the bolt simply snapped [lol, its now welded to the knuckle until the remaining parts I need arrive from bat... so until then my car is been truely babied around]

Back