• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

This only applies to someone who knows what they are talking about.

Ifordman98

CEG'er
I want to buy a sysem for my car. Im getting a 8" polk momo rated at 200 watt RMS and 400 Peak power. And it is a 4 ohm sub. I found an audiobahn amp Rating
"2-channel car amplifier
100 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms (200 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms)
400 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)"

will this blow out my sub?

Not if you adjust the gain setting down. It's a lot of power, but if you have the amp's settings correctly adjusted (set gains properly, loudness off, bass boost set accordingly), you should be ok.

Read this, from the old forums. There was a thread once upon a time, about how to properly set the gains, but I can't find it. :shrug:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...d=allposts&Main=398296&Search=true#Post398494

If I were you, I'd also send a PM to Honkeytonk Monkey, or SoundQSVT, they are pretty good with this kind of stuff. But FWIW, I'd probably have the gains on the amp set to about 1/2 way, or even a litlle less. Don't have the loudness button on the HU turned on, don't turn the bass ALL the way up, and if you have a bass boost feature on your HU, don't turn it up more than one or two "jumps" from 0.

Please for the love of god, do not buy audiobahn!!!! You can do so much better in terms of quality and probably spend less money too. Personally I would get a better quality amp that will produce around 200 watts rms into a 4 ohm load. What's your budget for an amp? Does it have to be new or are you willing to consider used?

I want somthing Factory sealed around $140. I found a Kicker zx200.2 for that budget. I always thought Audiobahns were pretty good for the price( what ive heard) and the reviews were pretty good on it

I want to buy a sysem for my car. Im getting a 8" polk momo rated at 200 watt RMS and 400 Peak power. And it is a 4 ohm sub. I found an audiobahn amp Rating
"2-channel car amplifier
100 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms (200 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms)
400 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)"

will this blow out my sub?

Bottom Line, as stated, it will work, if you crank the amp all the away, there is the possibility of blowing out your subwoofer, and you can tell when your tuned bad because the audio will be clipped, you don't want clipping, if your afraid to tune it yourself, take it to an audio shop and have them do it for you quick, shouldn't cost that much, and maybe they'll do it for free... never know...

Normal audio sine wave
sine.gif

Clipped audio signal
1khz_Hard_Clipping.JPG

Personally, I'm not a fan of audiobahn, more hype than help.

Brands of amps that I personally have used are:

Sony:eek: - sucked, I was dumb, made me want to bomb Japan again.
Alpine - bought used in 1995, it's still playing in my wife's truck
MTX Thunder (Old school)- have had two, this is what currently
powers my sub.
Orion - bought remanufactured from www.ikesound.com, working great so far,
over 2 years.
Coustic - got it very cheap, currently powering 2 6x9's in my wife's truck.

Other folks can chime in on what they have used, but some to check out might be:

Kenwood-cheap, generally reliable
PPI- check E-Bay for old school Art series.
U.S. amps - if you cna find an older, used one, they rock.

Everything audiobahn that i've ever dealt with has been subpar. The subs have clipped and the amps don't put out nearly what they say.

shop around and find an amp that will do 200-250 watts rms at 4 ohms and i think you'll be a lot more satisfied than if you were to be putting the max wattage to the sub.

Subs don't clip... amp's do.

Are you sure? I thought i read that by audiobahn setting their sensitivity at high dB levels is what causes their subs to clip the notes. Maybe I'm wrong though and it was the amp that was clipping.

Back