• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Third World re-engineering solution

WingBender

CEG'er
Don't know if anyone else has encountered this with their rear sway bar clamps, but here is how I resolved a unique issue.

The back end of the car was clunking over bumps, and sure enough the right sway bar bushing clamp was gone. The bushing was still on the sway bar and it was in pretty good shape.

I got a new clamp and bolt, and when I went to put them in I found there was nothing to bolt them to. The reason the original clamp had departed the vehicle was that the flange that attaches the clamp to the body had partly broken off. So somewhere beside a road in western Washington is a '96 Contour SE rear sway bar clamp with a piece of the body attachment flange firmly bolted to it.

Fearing the worst (having to weld in a new flange), I decided instead to implement a Third World fix. I bent and twisted the truncated flange so that the flat could reach the bolt hole on the clamp, drilled a hole through it to match, and presto! It all bolted together. No more clunking.

Has anyone else had a sway bar attachment flange break off?

Yeah, that is a very common problem throughout the entire 5 years the car was produced. Annoying problem to have :mad:.

You don't have problems like that in the Cherokee world. I know my lift has a step in the directions to dispose of the rear sway bar because "it will no longer be used." :laugh:

Back