• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The tale of 2 different 3rd gear types for the MTX-75 early shaft design.

Blank Redge

New CEG'er
Hi everybody, I'm sorry if this sounds like a re-hash but I searched all over (the internet) and I couldn't get any info on this. So I'm asking here. So basically I'm rebuilding my MTX-75 by putting in new bearings and synchros for my '98 SVT Contour. Because I never rebuilt this model of transmission before, I pulled a spare tranny from a another SVT at pick-n-pull (south San Jose), to practice and verify that I had all the correct parts from the rebuild kit (BK334WS ~ $312 + shipping @ allstategear.com). I also have my tranny pulled and apart.

I noticed that there seems to be 2 different types of 3rd gear on the input shaft (both early designs). One type uses a single brass synchro in a arrangement similar to the 4th, 5th, and reverse gear. The other type uses a 3-piece double brass cone with inner gear ring arrangement similar to the 1st and 2nd gear. So my question is: since I can use either type of gear, which one is better to use (in terms of performace and longevity)?

See picture attachments below: single piece synchro is on the left, 3-piece synchro is on the right.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• Image0072 (Small)..jpg
    Image0072 (Small)..jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Image0075 (Small)..jpg
    Image0075 (Small)..jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Image0071 (Small)..jpg
    Image0071 (Small)..jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Image0073 (Small)..jpg
    Image0073 (Small)..jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Image0070 (Small)..jpg
    Image0070 (Small)..jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 0
go with the double syncro (3-piece like 1st and 2nd) if you can. it will provide smoother shifts and last longer (which is why Ford used it on the first 3 gears originally).

Back