• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Temp gauge not working/fans on constantly

DumbContourdriver

New CEG'er
So first the introduction, ford contour V6 auto 174k miles. Has a few problems. Firstly has a problem with fans running all the time. Temp gauge does nothing, stuck at operating temp. Codes p0118 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit High Open. I replaced the sending sensor, did nothing. Gauge still broken and the fans still come on constantly. So any ideas? Is there a temp sensor somewhere with 2 wires? Another fun problem is the lights, electronics, and things are all acting erratically. Ex: lights will go bright when revved, sound from speakers goes in and out sometimes. Ac does not work, like the clutch does not engage. Is there a constant control module on the car? Also I think the cars misfiring as the engine jerks when idling.
Sorry for all the questions just wanna get this thing in tip top shape again.

There was another post on here, about a p0118 code, in the Trouble Shooting section on this site, that i found while i using google to search for that code. That guy had problems with the fan NOT turning off too.

he wrote "There is a temperature sender (one wire) near water pump for the car temp gauge and a temperature sensor (near engine fire wall) to communicate temperature to the PCM. Found the temperature sensor and must of inadvertently disconnected it"

Your other problem of the Light going bright when revving, usually mean the Alternator on it's way out, or you could be loose battery cable.
Check the Simple stuff 1st.

Doesn't explain why the temp gauge still doesn't work, since the temp sender controls the temp gauge. Can't see any damaged wiring but the connector looks worn. I'll check for the other sensor tho. Pretty sure the grounds bad so it's causing the erratic electronic behavior. Thanks

Back